Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen (Scythe's POV)

Zaid stayed hunched over the toilet for another ten minutes before he slumped to the floor in defeat, his shoulders shaking as he drifted into unconsciousness. Alarm swept over me as I dropped to my knees beside him.

"Zaid?" I asked in concern, touching his shoulder.

"He needs rest." Kyler stated from behind me. I glared at him. There was something about this cat that just wasn't right. He was mouthy and rude, gross and sarcastic. I didn't even want him near Zaid, but I didn't have time to worry about this cat right now. I had Zaid to take care of. I wiped Zaid's mouth before lifting him into my arms. I cradled him against me, kissing his forehead gently before drifting up the stairs.

The hairs on the back of my neck rose in aggravation as I felt Kyler following close behind me. I glanced over my shoulder to glare at him, but I noticed he was practically on my heels, his eyes darting around. I looked back ahead.

"You're jittery. What are you expecting? Jack to show up? He wouldn't be so stupid after he saw us kill a traitor and a Hunter." I snorted. Kyler scowled, walking beside me now as I led the way to Zaid's room.

"I don't trust you wolves. You're a pack of vicious barbarians."

"Then why are you even still here?"

"Because Zaid's different." Kyler snapped. I frowned, pausing to study Kyler's expression. His brows were furrowed, his eyes averted as he clenched his fists in the sleeves of the jacket. I glanced away from him.

"Zaid should have some clothes that'll fit you." I said, changing the subject. Kyler blinked and looked at me curiously, but said nothing else as he followed me into Zaid's room. I gestured to the wardrobe, watching him walk over, throwing the doors open rather rudely. I rolled my eyes, then gently placed Zaid on the bed.

He felt smaller, his skin pale and his lips parted as he breathed. I felt an ache tug at my heart, watching him lie there helpelessly. Something was seriously wrong. He'd been like this ever since he came back from Jack's. I blinked, then whirled around as Kyler dropped the leather jacket from his shoulders.

I frowned as he pulled a skintight black turtleneck out, tugging it on over his head, smoothing it over his lean muscles. He was thin, not skinny, but built for a speed that could probably outmatch Zaid's in an instant. There was no denying that he was attractive, but I only saw Zaid as god-like. Kyler was just a nymph in my eyes- Only without the wings and sparkling claws.

"You know what's wrong with Zaid." I stated, letting the idea sink in. Kyler stopped moving with his back facing me. He had been holding up a pair of leather pants and slowly lowered them, turning his head to look at me sideways.

"What's wrong with your mate is none of my concern. I'm just here to get this fucking collar off so I can ditch you wolves."

"Gonna be hard when you're heading to the heart of wolf country. Alaska is crawling with wolves."

"Not when I get there. I'm a leopard. We can easily eat three times our weight."

"That's disgusting."

"Not when I imagine them being Jack." Kyler snorted, then turned his head away again, ignoring the need for underwear as he tugged the leather pants on, running his hand along his backside. I immediately looked away from him, turning to gaze at Zaid as he slept.

I was worried. Had Jack injected him with something other than morphine? Was it dangerous? Would it kill him? The very thought gave me icy chills as I shuddered, sitting on the edge of the bed and taking Zaid's hand in mine.