Chapter 23: "Memory"

"Your dad? What is he doing?"

"I don't know." He went off to let his dad in. I put on the nearest thing I could find which turned out to be one of Asher's T-shirt over my tank top.

After sometime, I heard the ominous sound of what appears to be of vase breaking. I rushed out of the room to find Asher's dad shouting at him, shards of glass covered the whole floor. It seems like his Dad tried to throw the base at Asher, but fortunately he dodged it.

"FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS DISAPPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE FROM OUR BANK AND YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT IT?" He barked looking absolutely livid, his eyes were red and he was fuming with anger. I could see the vein on his forehead.

I was kind of scared since he looked like he could just attack Asher any time. "ANSWER ME!" He screamed.

"I have no clue." Asher said looking down.

"YOU ASSHOLE!" He pounced on Asher grabbing him by the collar. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY YOU DON'T FUCKING KNOW ANYTHING? YOU WERE FUCKING IN CHARGE OF THIS!" He slapped him and threw punches at him while Asher didn't do anything to defend himself. He just stood taking all the punches, of course tumbling back a bit from the strong force of the punches, but his father's grip on the collar kept Asher in place.

"PLEASE STOP!" I screamed rushing towards them to stop them from fighting. Asher was bleeding through his nose. There was blood everywhere. He looked like a mess.

Asher's dad looked at me with disgust. I was feeling uncomfortable under his stares. "So you are gonna marry this whore and leave the family business after stealing the money?"

"She is not a whore! Say whatever you want to say to me. Don't you dare say anything to her. She has nothing to do with this." He said through gritted teeth.

"Oh I see then- I am glad you are fucking quitting your job at my company. I don't want to fucking see you ever again. You are the reason my wife is dead. You were dead to me since the day you decided to go recklessly driving off somewhere leaving your sick mother to worry herself to death." And with that he left closing the door loudly on his way.

Asher's eyes were watery. He was on the verge of crying. He looked broken, lost- like the fifteen year old child he was back then who didn't know what to do.

It was hurting me to see Asher like that. Like I can feel the physical pain in my chest. I didn't realize I was crying, tears clouded my vision. "Asher..." I tried to reach out for him, but he backed away.

Asher wiped his eyes, "Armelle, I am okay." He lied his eyes were red.

"Asher I..."

"I need a moment to myself." Asher left, closing the door to the guest room behind him leaving me to sleep in his room.

...............

The wedding was a few days away and I decided to visit Asher at his office after deciding on which flowers to order for the wedding location. Edna was a complete sweetheart. She was doing everything, she took all the responsibilities on her shoulders though I keep on asking her if she needs any help or not, but she always says no.

Everyone I passed, greeted me cheerfully congratulating me for getting engaged. The ones who didn't like me much were even coming up and talking to me. A few weeks ago, I was just an invisible intern who got lucky and was promoted to be Asher's assistant. But now I was Asher's fiancée, so of course they are gonna treat me better for that. Sadly, that is how the world works.

I didn't tell him that I would be visiting his office today since I wanted to surprise him with a hazelnut chocolate cake. After countless amount of tries I was successful in baking this cake and surprisingly I didn't end up causing a fire as Sydney joked. Sydney was the one who provided me with the recipe and I was actually quite proud of myself at how good it turned out.