Chapter 16 - Origin

Chapter 16 - Origin

The piece of paper slipped from Gabriel's fingers. It fluttered to the floor as officers stormed in, examining every inch of the room as if they would find Dad hiding under the table or something.

But Dad was gone.

The killer took him.

"Start an immediate manhunt in the general vicinity for the police chief, the Mayor, and the Mayor's wife," Officer Peri, the third in command at the station, ordered. She was usually an easygoing woman, but right now, she looked thunderous. "Track the GPS units on their phones, try connecting to Officer Fern's radio. Do not let this leak to the media!"

"Check the underground tunnel beneath the school," I whispered absently.

Officer Peri registered my words, and echoed the demand.

While the other officers spilled out of the room as quickly as they had entered to attend to their duties, Tony approached the window cautiously, pulling on latex gloves.

"Do we have security cameras outside?" he asked, frowning.

"No, we're not made of money," Officer Peri muttered. The police station had one camera at the front entrance, and that was it. She leaned out from the window as Tony dusted it, reporting, "Blind spots everywhere, and likely no witnesses either."

"Can you recall what happened?" Tony asked Jolene, who had sat up. "Who came through the window?"

"I don't know, I was passed out," Jolene rasped. She staggered to her feet, leaning on the wall for support.

Officer Peri grimaced at the sight, and marched to the doorway again. "Someone call an ambulance for Officer Lindon and these kids," she hollered. "We don't know what was in that gas."

"I'll be fine," Jolene insisted. "Get the kids checked over. They're in shock."

"Why weren't you taken?" Officer Peri asked. It wasn't an accusation, only a genuine question.

"Because it was a personal attack," I offered. My tone was flatter than I had ever heard it. To my own surprise, I wasn't hyperventilating on the floor or rocking in the corner. I was just... numb. I hadn't truly registered the severity of the situation yet. Some part of my brain was fully convinced that I was dreaming.

I picked up the piece of paper and pushed it over to Officer Peri. "Look."

Officer Peri craned her head. She muttered a series of four lettered words. "I need to contact the federal agents. They're going to have to take over with Officer Fern gone. Stay in here until they arrive, understand?" She took the piece of paper, turned on her heel, and left the room.

Jolene's attention turned to me then. "Luca, what was the whole hubbub earlier with you asking if it was me?"

I stared at her blankly, failing to respond. I didn't know if I trusted her. In fact, without Dad here, I didn't know if I trusted anyone in this station.

Jolene must have seen that sentiment in my expression. She started towards me, her hands out as if she was placating a small animal, but before she could get close, Gabriel bolted from my side, startling the both of us with how fast he moved.

"Gabriel!" I yelled after him.

He was already gone despite Officer Peri's warning to stay inside. Since I didn't care much for their rules anyway, I chased after him.

"Gabriel!" I tried again.

He didn't slow down—he tore out of the station and through the main doors.