||Chapter 31||

Of course I'll hurt you. Of course you'll hurt me. Of course we will hurt each other. But this is the very condition of existence. To become spring, means accepting the risk of winter. To become presence, means accepting the risk of absence.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - Manon, Ballerina
**************************

Damon looked sternly into my eyes.
"He's been... taken care of." He said and looked down at his coffee.
"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean it's nothing you should be concerned about." He said warningly.
I looked away and nodded. I didn't want to ask anymore questions.

Before the incident, I thought I knew him. But I was so, so wrong. I have spent a little time with him and thought that I knew who he was. But the truth is, I don't know anything about him.

His family? No idea.
His ex? No idea.
His friends? Not sure if he has those...
His past? Not the slightest clue.

But, he didn't know a lot about me too. He thought he did, but he didn't. He didn't know what I went through or what horrible things I had to do.
The truth is, we are like strangers.

"Why... Why did you..uh... When Oliver- he-he said.. he called you a murderer-what was that about?" I asked, my hands slightly sweating.

His expression hardened and he cleared his throat. "I see you do remember. Well... Oliver and I used to be friends. But my business was dangerous then, not completely legal. His girlfriend always worked hard for my company, but then an accident occurred and she died. Oliver has blamed me for it since."

"Damon...?" I said, not knowing how to react.
Damon looked up at me.
"Yes?" He answered, confidently.
"Can we go back? I'm a little tired..." I said trying not to show much emotion in my voice.
He stared at me for a moment, trying to read my expression.

He sighed slightly and nodded.
"Sure, let's go." He said but it came out more like an order.

We got out of the Café and drove back to the hospital.
The drive back was silent with me occasionally catching his gaze.

I looked outside the window and stared as we passed all the trees and building. I noticed the small droplet that appeared on the window. Then another one, and another.

Within 3 minutes it was pouring rain, and the sky was nearly pitch black.
The alleviate sound of rain was soothing and I closed my eyes.

I sighed.
I opened my eyes when the driver turned the radio on and the song: This Town by Niall Horan started playing and I felt at peace as I listened to the calming song...

As if the whole world was watching I'd still dance with you
Drive highways and byways to be there with you
Over and over the only truth
Everything comes back to you
You still make me nervous when you walk in the room
Them butterflies they come alive when I'm next to you
Over and over the only truth
Everything comes back to you...

My eyes slightly opened as I felt familiar smell and warmth around me.
I felt his hands around me, carrying me.
I must've been hard asleep not to wake up when he picked me up.

A small feeling of worry and fear shivered around me but I let it go.
A slight moan escaped my half asleep lips as he tugged me closer to his chest.
"Shh... it's okay, princess. Just sleep.." I heard his softened voice, and with those words, I fell back to sleep...

I woke up the next morning to small, laughing voices whispering from the edge of my hospital bed.
I quickly opened my eyes and the three excited girls started laughing and smiling.
"She awake!" One shouted excitedly.
They acted like little children....

I couldn't help but smile at the sight of them and their friendly faces.
"Lola! Vicky, Debi!" I said excitedly as they embraced me with a huge, tight hug.

We all laughed and smiled at each other.
"We were soooo worried about you, Natalie! Don't ever do that to us again!" Lola said laughingly.

"I'm sorry, I missed you too." I said as we pulled away from the hug., my shoulder slightly hurting.

"Don't worry, we know it wasn't your fault. Damon told us about the man that tried to rob you on the streets, we are just glad you're okay!" Vicky said with a half smile.
I felt confused at her words...
Robbery?
Streets?
Wait, they met Damon?

"You have no idea what we went through! We though it was going to be too late until Mr. Queen payed soo much money for that bitchy doctor to see you!" Debi exclaimed looking at me with concern.
My mouth dropped open.

Are they bluffing?!

I was about to ask them what bullshit they were talking about until someone slammed the doors, making us all 4 slightly jump.

I saw Lola smile and I turned around and grinned at the person standing at the doors.
"Jackson!" I said, happy to see him.

"Hey, kitty cat, how are you?" He said giving me a warm smile.
I noticed the colorful tulips in his hands and smiled widely.

"That's right, kitty cat, these are for you." He said slightly chuckling and we all chuckled together.

From when is he calling me by a nickname?

And what about those money?

What bitchy doctor?

What fucking robbery?

What has Damon come up with?

Why would he lie?

And why the fuck was he talking with my friends? I bet he scared the shit out of them...

I snapped out of my thoughts as the doors opened and slammed again, making me jump harder.

The laughter from the girls dropped and they just gave each other omg-look-it's-him looks. I wanted to laugh at their reaction to Damon but I only chuckled at them.
I looked up and there he was, the mysterious Damon.

"Natalie, the doctor said we can go home finally." Damon said with a small smile.

I hugged all my friends goodbye and Damon took all my things.

An hour later, we were back in the penthouse, and I was back in my own room.