John one shot x reader - In the middle of a warzone

'Okay, let's do this.' I heard John say as I entered the tent. 'No, no, no. Not yet. First: coffee.' I said and handed him a cup of coffee with a smile. 'You'll need it this evening; it's getting dark sooner.' I explained when John took the coffee and sipped from the hot drink. I sipped from mine and hoped that this drink would be enough for the many long hours that would follow.

'And where's my coffee?' Jimmy asked and smiled brightly. 'Get it yourself.' I answered and grinned a bit. 'Oh, so dear John gets a drink for free and I need to walk all the way to get a proper drink before saving lives?' I nodded with a smirk on my face. 'Yeah, that's pretty much it.' Jimmy was one of the four doctors who were sent here to help in this dangerous place. John, Jimmy, Helga and I were there to save as many lives as possible.

I was nervous, shaking a bit and felt cold. Those were feelings that I always had when I was on a mission and with a mission like this, those feelings only became worse. Helga played with her hair. I knew that sign; it meant she was anxious too. Jimmy grinned like a fool, again a sign of anxiousness, and I was shaking.

We had lots of reasons to be anxious since it was quiet. And the silence is much, much worse than sound in a warzone. When you hear guns and bombs, you know the people are attacking and you know where the people are. Especially the shouting was a way to know where the criminals were.

But it was quiet, way too quiet. The terrorists could be anywhere doing anything. We didn't know a thing. Of course we were only here to help people but who knows what the scumbags would do with us when and if they found us...

I smiled at the anxious Anaya, the hostage girl we had saved from those bastards. She was a sweet and clever girl and I liked her a lot. I had known her before the hostage and it had been heart-breaking to see all the joy in her eyes turn into fear and despair. It is a sight I wouldn't want anybody to see and I shivered when I thought of it again.

We had a difficult task to go and save her. Yes, we had a difficult task to save her. The soldiers were too busy to save one silly girl when a whole city was under attack, but I couldn't leave this kind girl to die... and John felt the same way. We saved her, just the two of us. I had never been so scared but seeing her hurt with those stupid terrorists was everything I needed not to give up.

John had been very calm during the mission to get Anaya back. And he seemed very calm now too. As if he had everything under control, he slowly sipped from his coffee. He looked at me and smiled. That smile calmed me down a lot and I moved a bit closer to him, hoping his calmness was contagious.

'Don't.' He just said and looked at me sternly. 'Just don't do it.' I moved back a bit. 'Don't do what?' I asked. 'Be nervous. Okay, so it's quiet, that doesn't matter.' He placed his hand on my shaking fingers and brought back some warmth. 'You are allowed to go home, John, you know that.' I said and looked into his sky-blue eyes. 'Yes, I know that. But I'm not leaving without you. We'll save lives today, we'll do the right thing.' I thought of his words. Yes, we will do the right thing, and luckily, luckily we did it together.