Mismatched Compatibility (15)

• Dedicated to Daniella Mayor

Ethan:

Aaron and Luke came over a couple of hours later. We were in my room, wasting our time by doing what any dude in our age would do.

We played Xbox all afternoon.

After all, we had a few hours to kill before the charity basketball game started. We didn't have to warm up and practice since we all played collegiate basketball. Even if the team we were up against was younger, we were still the best team Coach Buckley ever trained in Mount Valley High School.

“You won't believe who's performing at our wedding reception,” Aaron blurted out. He and I were in the middle of a racing game.

“Who?” I asked automatically, my eyes not leaving the screen.

Three laps to go. Damn. Aaron's still on the lead.

“High Jinks,” said Aaron.

I heard Luke whistle in appreciation from my bed, while I made a face.

I almost passed him! Fvcking grass slowed me down.

“The boy band?” I asked again, a little distracted by the game. I was definitely steering my car away from that shit excuse of a grass.

“Yep.”

“Aren't they busy? Like, really busy.”

“They are,” said Aaron a-matter-of-factly. “They're helluva expensive, too. My savings won't even cover their talent fee.”

“How exactly are you going to pay them?” Luke piped in, his voice with a hint of confusion.

“I'm not.”

I frowned and waited for Aaron to continue, still keeping my eyes glued to the game. This was my chance for him to get distracted as he talked.

Two laps to go.

“See,” began Aaron. I could feel him grinning beside me even though I wasn't looking at his face. “It turns out, they're good friends with Dakota's cousin from the Philippines.”

“The author cousin?” guessed Luke. “The one whose book is turning into a movie? I watched her in the morning news the other day.”

I caught Aaron nodding from my peripheral vision. But then, I shook my head and willed myself to concentrate on the game.

Just a little bit closer. Come on, stay the fvck away from the grass.

“That's the one,” confirmed Aaron. “She used to date that Erik Frost dude from High Jinks. She still must be pretty tight with them if they're agreeing to play without payment.”

I snorted. “There's free food. What's to complain about? And . . .” I paused. “Boom! I just passed ya! Ha!”

“Not for long,” said Aaron, shifting in his seat and getting his game face on.

One lap to go.

I was seriously sweating a bit. It wasn't all the time that I got to beat Aaron at this. Luke was a lost cause. He was the master of racing games. Basically, I was the one who always finished last.

Don't get me wrong, I don't suck at this. I just have friends who are better than me at playing video games. What can I say? I have more social life than them.

Suddenly, my phone vibrated. I involuntarily glanced at my phone on the table. My eyes focused on the name of the sender.

Dana H.

Without thinking, I paused the game and grabbed my phone. I slid my thumb on the screen to unlock it, opened the text message, and read.

Dana H. :

We're done here. Your mother told me to inform you that the game will start at 5 o'clock, so you and your friends should be here by 4. Btw, I saw the players you'll be playing against. They're quite good.

I raised an eyebrow. Then, I typed in a reply.

Ethan T. :

Believe me, we're better. :P Don't go around the school alone. You might get lost around the dirty hallways. You're clean shoes won't be able to handle it. LOL

I was smiling to myself when I put my phone down. Raising my head, I noticed Aaron and Luke were eerily quiet. I narrowed my eyes at them, while they stared at me like I lost my mind.

“What?” I demanded.

Like a zombie, Aaron pointed to the paused game and said, “Did you just . . . ?”

Like a long lost twin, Luke finished for Aaron, “. . . pause the game when you were in the middle of winning?”

“For a text,” emphasized Aaron.

I didn't see what the big deal was.

“Yeah, so?” I replied nonchalantly, picking up the console to resume the game. I stared at the screen for a moment or two, my brain slowly working its way to the realization that . . . I gasped, looking wildly at Aaron and Luke.

“I just paused a game for a fvcking text!”

They nodded in amusement.

“Shit,” I muttered, covering my face with my hands.

I couldn't believe it. Well, I could. But I didn't want to.

“That's okay, man,” Aaron mocked in patronizing tone, looking like he was really enjoying this. “There comes a point in our life when we realize that we're falling for someone. Congratulations, you're on your way to becoming a man.”

Luke laughed.

“Shut the fvck up, Aaron.”

Of course, that only made him laugh.

“It's the way of life, Ethan,” added Luke, in that same teasing tone.

I groaned. “Shut your pie holes, you mofos. I'm losing it over here. I just paused a fvcking game for a motherfvcking text! That's fvcking huge! That says I don't just want her. That says I care! That says I want more with her.” I stopped short, realizing what I just said. My eyes widened in horror, as I asked my two best friends in a hushed whisper, “Did I just say that?”

It took them a second to recover. Me, on the other hand . . . I don't think I'll easily get over what I just blurted out.

“Yeah,” breathed out Luke. He looked at me like he was happy for me. I wasn't the one getting married, though.

“You're growing up,” Aaron told me, impressed.

I rubbed my face. “Feels more like getting old.”

I seriously felt like I'd grown ten years since I paused the game. Just that one tiny flicker of light making me aware of what I've already been getting hints of changed everything.

I am fvcking screwed. I won't be able to live the life I've always thought I'll have til I'm thirty years old. If I do, like the game, it's paused. Because when you meet the person worth pausing the game for (pun intended), you bet your ass it's more than just your soldier standing up whenever you see her.

Now you see why pausing the game was such a big fucking deal for us?

It reflects real life.

I suddenly realize that I was being a whiny pvssy over this shit. I should face this head on, like the cocky son of a bitch I've always been.

“Are you calm now?” checked Luke warily.

I nodded.

It's confirmed.

“Fvck, I want her mine.”

_____________

I love R5's song Pass Me By with this chappie. Just perfect! #ethanasdfghjkldana

Dedicated to my cousin Daniella 'cause she's finally reading this and I bet she's up in the clouds full of giddiness. LOL.

Any comments about this realization? ;)