10: Voyager

"Please, sir," Dante said. "My partner is so injured she can barely stay on her feet and we must get away from the soldiers who did this to her." He wrapped a protective arm around Delilah, who swayed as she gazed up at the Anlochians with wide eyes.

"What did they attack her for?" the captain grunted.

"It was unprovoked. You know how some of them can be – if they see a nice-looking girl, vulnerable and alone... Soldiers can abuse their power."

"Never did like soldiers," one of the burly, fur-clad men muttered to his captain. "It's better in Anloch, when we volunteer to fight as needed."

"Of course it is. Pelenu is a twisted place. Fine," the captain said loudly. "You can come with us across the Steel Sea. But I'll expect payment."

"Of course. And I can work with your men," Dante said immediately. Delilah resisted the urge to gape. She hadn't thought Dante capable of menial labour. "Could you help us below decks?"

Delilah stole one last glance back at Panoro, the seaside trading port. They were quite far southwest, on the tip of Pelenu's Western Peninsula, and the sun was bright, the air balmy, the sea a sparkling blue. Docks teemed with ships, and Delilah liked the look of the streamlined Anloch craft they headed towards now. It was built to be both a trading and military vessel, when the need called for it, with large sails and a blue and white flag emblazoned with the Anloch bear fluttering from the top of the tallest mast. Most of the crew were busy carrying or rolling their crates of goods onto the deck: they had arrived with fur, meat, blubber and unique ivory ornaments, and returned with fabric, spices, and weapons.

Pelenu was known for its roaring industry and manufacturing of metals, but the Anlochians were fishermen and traders. As much as Delilah hated to admit it, she was interested to see more of their ways.

Delilah faked a stumble as she stepped on board, and instantly Dante was there to steady her on one side, while a young, handsome sailor appeared at her other, a hand on her shoulder.

Delilah gave him a winning smile. "Thank you."

The sailor just grinned back, and his blue eyes reminded her of Kaya.

They found the spare cabin the captain had given them. It was partly used for storage, and there was barely enough space to sit inside without rubbing elbows.

Dante frowned at her.

"What's wrong with you? I'm using my natural charms to my advantage."

"Don't seduce these men, Coppin. They might recognise you, and besides, we need them to focus on sailing us across the Gulf of Steel."

"You really think I'm attractive enough to distract them from their work?"

"I think most men are stupid."

"What a charmer you are, Night Bringer."

"Quiet down," he hissed. "Anyone could be eavesdropping." The silence was broken only by the slapping of waves against the hull, and the muffled thuds of crates moving on the deck.

They ventured back up as the sailors untied ropes and unfurled sails. Delilah moved to the stern of the boat, out of the way, and leaned against the railings to watch Pelenu shrink behind her. The Western Peninsula was closest to Anloch territory – only a thin strip of water separated the seaside towns from the Delta, where the southern clans lived.

"Don't look back. Look ahead." Dante's voice carried towards her on a crisp, salt-laden breeze. "The Water Opal is calling to us. When we find it, our journey will be half over."

In the days that followed, Delilah lounged around the deck studying sea charts while Dante helped the men. Her injuries were no lie, and while part of her felt useless, she enjoyed watching others do the work – as a queen should. Dante, to her amazement, threw himself into the work of the sailors and before long it seemed that he could have been one of them his whole life.