105 | dubnium

× Horan

Waking up to find that Lynn wasn't lying beside me sent terrible scenarios through my head.

She was kidnapped, Chloe came back and saw us in bed together and Lynn was currently smoothing things over. Or worse, she ran away. That was probably my biggest fear. She was going to wake up one day and see that she made the biggest mistake and run - run and never look back.

It's scary to find someone that makes you happy. You start giving them all your attention because they're what makes you forget everything bad that's going on in your life. They're the first person you want to talk to in the morning and the last one before you sleep just so you can start and end your day with a smile. It all sounds great to have that someone, but it's scary to think about how easily they could just leave and take that happiness away when they go.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, making sure the sheet was around my waist. Looking around the room, my heart settled back in my chest when I saw her sitting at her desk, her back to me.

"Love?" I asked, worry in my voice. "You okay?"

Lynn sniffed and perked up from the sound of my voice, but didn't look over at me. "Yeah," she said, her voice slightly hoarse. "Yeah, I'm fine."

I watched her carefully as she opened the drawer on her desk and drop something inside before closing it again. She quickly wiped the sleeve of her jumper under her nose before turning to face me with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

I knew she hasn't been herself ever since that Ethan lad came to her room and confessed to killing her parents, and after the two of us had a proper chat about it, I figured maybe she would feel a little better. But I guess I wouldn't know how to deal with that as both of my parents are very much alive.

The first orange hued rays of sunrise kissed Lynn's skin. The soft glow that should have brought warmth to a new day only acted to solidify the reality of her dejected face. I held my hand out for her to take.

Wearing only a jumper, Lynn stood up and took my hand in hers and joined me back in the bed. I shifted to make room for her on the tiny mattress and lied back down as Lynn's head rested on the pillow by my chest. Her warm breath fanned across my bare skin and her legs entangled with mine. Wrapping my arms around her waist, I pulled her in close.

"I know you're lying to me," I said into her hair. "Is it about Ethan?"

Lynn didn't say anything at first and instead just tucked her head into my neck. "Yeah," she eventually said through a hoarse voice. "I don't know how I can tell my brother... I'm not even entirely sure how to get a hold of him."

I thought about my brother. He was able to get Anders here one time, maybe he could pass along the message to his commander. But I kept that possibility in the back of my mind in case Greg wasn't able to do it.

"Ethan's going to get what he deserves," I told her.

"How can you be so sure?"

"I may not believe in fate or soulmates, but I do believe in karma. He's not going to get away with this, Lynn."

She lifted our entwined hands and held them close to her chest. I felt her heart beat rapidly against the back of my hand, and I tried to sooth her the best I could by holding her close and never letting go.

"I hope you're right."

It amazed me how quickly something, or someone, could become so familiar to you. Lynn's room had quickly became my second shelter, the first being my own. But I kept finding myself here more than anywhere else. I knew where Lynn hid her spare change from Chloe so she wouldn't steal it, I knew her morning routine by heart, I knew that she kept her books in the top drawer of her dresser, and I knew that on the off chance she wasn't wearing her necklace that it would be safe on the first hook of her jewelry box.