35

"Dad? Kol? Elijah?" Darla asked, holding hands with Kit as they met with the three men in the front office. "What are you doing here?"

"Family emergency," Klaus stared cryptically, greeting his daughter with a kiss on the cheek and Kit with a fatherly gaze. "We need to get you back to the compound. Now."

"What? What's going on?" Darla spoke again, now feeling a deep pit of anxiety forming in her stomach.

"We shall explain when we get home, Darla." Elijah reassured.

"Wait, why am I here?" Kit inquired, eyebrows furrowed. "Isn't it illegal for you guys to pull me out of class? I mean, I'm not complaining — study hall really sucks — but can't you guys be charged for kidnapping or something?"

"No, but you know what you can be charged with?" Kol responded. "Annoyance of the second degree."

"...That was good, I'll give you that." Kit responded.

"We'll give you the proper explanation after we get you two to a place where we know is safe." Klaus said in assurance, knowing that Kit wasn't going to take this as well as he'd hoped.

Although it was his plan, he wasn't overly fond of it. He didn't like bringing innocent people into the likes of the supernatural when they had a chance of a good future ahead of them and a life that could end in a peaceful way. But with this impending threat, Klaus knew that the only way he would survive was to be put under his protection.

As for the safety of Darla, Klaus couldn't stop his mind from reeling. All of the possibilities of what could happen to the little girl that'd been left to die in the alley were enough to make him want to break down right then and there. She had brought him such joy in their time together and he couldn't stand the thought of her not being there. He had had weaknesses before, but she was his kryptonite. He didn't know what he'd do if she got caught in the crossfire. He wouldn't know how to go on. But he didn't have time to think about that. He had to get his little girl and her love the hell out of dodge.

"Daddy," Darla said as they began walking out of the office, her father's hand on the small of her back protectively. "Daddy, is everything okay?"

"No. Everything is not okay, Darla. But I can solemnly swear to you that I will keep my promise to you. The promise of which I keep you safe."

Leading the teens to the car, the family got in quickly and sped home, paying little to no attention to the rules of traffic and other trivial human things. But after hearing the nervous gasps and winces of the two humans in the backseat, Klaus was reminded to slow down a bit. The last thing he needed was a car wreck when he was on the brink of a potential war.

"S-So are you, like, working for the government or something?" Kit asked cluelessly, trying to piece together what was going on. "Is that what this is about? Are we, like, the target of some communist attack?"

"Try the wrath of a thousand year old viking." Kol smirked, always finding something to chuckle about in times of high tension.

"You guys are wild." The teen replied. "Real wild."

"You don't know the half of it. But you will." Elijah spoke in a cryptic tone, making Darla's head snap up.

Meeting the gaze of her father through the rear view mirror, she stared with wide eyes into his. Sighing, and confirming her suspicions all at the same time, Klaus focused on the road once again as her heart sank to the floor.

He was back. The monster in all the tales that her precious auntie Bex told her as a child had come to torment the family once again. An enemy so severe that it struck fear into the heart of the untouchable Klaus Mikaelson. But now the fear was inside her, as well. And the worst part was that she knew there was nothing she could do about it.

"B-But I thought he was gone." Darla spoke, fear evident in her tone. "How?"

"We don't know, love," Klaus admitted. "We don't know. But there's one thing that we do know, though. Nothing is going to happen to any of us. We are a family — always and forever. No one is going anywhere."

"Promise?"

"Always and forever is that promise."