Chapter 2

"Zara!" Jemima freaking Monroe called.

Oh crap! Half of the student body around me looked at me. I stopped in my tracks. Secretively peeking over my shoulder, I saw Blaze and Maddox still profusely chatting. Sometimes, I just wanted to burst into tears, seeing as how close he was to seeing me. But I didn't want him to see me in these hand me downs. May I add boys'  hand-me-downs.

I turned back to see Amelia giving me an apologetic smile. She knew about my crush. Jemima freaking Monroe waved as if we were on a beach. Jemima freaking Monroe started skipping to me. Jemima freaking Monroe skipped to my front when I showed her my back.

Rude? Well, she should have thought twice about showing calling attention to me in public when I was holding cleaning materials. I doubt I will ever hear the end of it from the rest of the students. Plus I didn't want to expose the girl to my death glare. She is a fragile thing. It might break her. I collected myself before smiling at her sweetly. She smiled back. That's when I felt it. My black contacts! The one in my right eye was slipping!

I quickly looked to the side, to the ground, anywhere but her. Suddenly I felt the cap being removed from my head. My baby. I looked up to see her smirking at me with my cap hanging from her index finger.

I quickly looked away, remembering my contacts

"You know, you are really, really pretty. You can actually pull off a runaway model look even with these clothes." I rolled my eyes. Oops, don't have that privilege. I just looked at the ground and nodded my head.

"Yeah well, thanks," I said still not looking at her. It might make me look shy and weak. But at this point, I don't care. I don't want people gawking at my eyes. You see, as I grew, they became brighter. Like a really, really glow-in-the-dark bright amber. So calling attention to it wasn't my preference.

"Listen, I am throwing a party tonight. Can you come?" By this time, I was freaking out. The contact was really slipping low. She will be able to see half of my irises now, like seeing half of the sun during a lunar eclipse. I quickly nodded, hardly registering what she said.

I quickly speed-walked past her and into the bathroom, leaving Amelia to deal with little-confused miss perfect. "I will send you the details" she shouted from the hallway. Whatever. I saw Blaze come and hug her from behind, kissing her forehead in front of an awkward Amelia. What I wouldn't give to be in her place.That's when I bumped into someone and tripped.

"Hey, are you alright ?" A strong arm pulled me up, Wait, Jason? He was ten times cuter up close With brown eyes, brown hair and a button nose. Button nose for boys isn't cute, but it looked perfect on him.

"Um, Zara?" Oh yeah, the contacts. I pushed past him muttering an incoherent 'fine' and dashing away fast. He will probably think I am rude now. But I don't care. Thankfully, he didn't see the contacts.

I crashed into the restroom and scooted to the mirror quickly adjusting my contacts. I sighed in relief as I narrowly missed almost exposing myself. It was at such times I craved company. Preferably my dad's.

Knowing my luck I called him. The phone rang thrice before sending me to voice mail.

I let out a deep breathe. Maybe it was the adrenaline rush from all the tension before and the fall, and my relentless heartbeat that refused to calm down. But tears leaked from my eyes dragged itself to my chin. It surprised me that even after all these years and even after all that happened, the first person I would turn to is my dad.

"Hey, dad... How are you doing?" My voice broke slightly but it wasn't that evident.

"I just really need your advice right now. I am hoping you will call back?" I paused knowing he wouldn't.

Looking at the mirror, I looked like a fish out of the water. Confused whether I should continue or not, opening my mouth and closing it. I just stopped being the blubbering mess I was and cut the call. My shoulders slumped. And I held onto the rim of the wash basin. I admit, even with my hair in a messy bun and my eyes covered by charcoal black contacts, I was... attractive. But not Blaze attractive. Gosh, when did I become so messed up? Why do I find myself thinking of him all the time? Why do I find myself dreaming of us meeting for the first time, in different scenarios? I hate how vulnerable I am these days. I softly banged my head against the wall repeatedly.

"DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU HAVE AGREED TO?" Amelia came in growling. Man, she looked riled up. Her blue eyes showed rage. And her perfect blonde look was slightly out of line. A wisp or two of her hair slightly out of place.

I groaned, turning around. This is the Amelia hardly anyone knew about. Strong, confident, born to be the alpha's daughter she is.

"It is my brother's WELCOME party." She shouted in my face. Oops, did I forget to mention that she is Blaze's sister? Yeah sorry, she is Blaze's half-sister. You see she is actually supposed to be the real alpha as it is her mother that is the luna of the silver-moon. But Blaze was born before her. An illegitimate child. You see Alpha Reynolds accidentally impregnated another woman before the luna. Thus Blaze gets the position. Personally, I feel a bit sorry for Amelia. But she is glad about it.

"Oh, um... why should he have a welcome party?" Wow, Zara, I don't think you can get any lamer if you tried. Is there any award for it? Or I don't know a master's degree?

Amelia raised one perfect blonde eyebrow. If there is anyone who can read me like a book, it will be her.

"You see, um, a bee whizzed past me at that time, So I wasn't hearing what she said." Amelia raised both her eyebrows, giving me a 'really?' look. I hated it when she dominated me. Sometimes I swear this girl can make a better alpha than Blaze, What with the death glares and all!

"I mean a bird, a bird... zoomed past me at the time. So I didn't hear it." I completed pathetically with the hand action and all. Wow, way to go Zara. I see you are digging a deeper grave for yourself. Amelia took a step back folding her arms against her chest. Amusement flickered in her eyes as she looked at me with the 'this-ought-to-be-good' look. Sadist.

I slumped my shoulders, giving her my puppy dog eyes. That always worked on her. Her expression softened.

"Fine, I will tell you the truth. Frankly, I don't even know why I do it. I guess I love to annoy you." I smiled and she grinned back

"Ok, my contacts slipped," I mumbled so low if it wasn't for her wolf hearing she wouldn't hear me. She gave me an incredulous look. This is so embarrassing. Then she burst out laughing, doubling over and clutching her stomach. I swear, right about know I wouldn't mind kicking her at 100 miles an hour to China.

She wiped fake tears. I just rolled my eyes.

"Fine, but if you are determined to hide from him, then I need to plan you know." I nodded, understanding what she meant. She is my safest bet in this. Blaze and Amelia weren't that close. Must be those stupid 'popularity' reasons boys had lodged into their stupid heads nowadays. He avoided her like the plague for some reason. Amelia didn't mind, and I guess it worked to my advantage.

"And it's time you landed yourself a boyfriend. I am getting tired of you bickering about hot Blaze is. It can scar a sister for life you know." She chuckled, winking at me. My jaw dropped open.

"Relax, I am kidding." Honestly speaking, with that girl, you just never know

"Ok now let's get to class." My best friend flashed me her 100-watt smile. In case you are wondering. Yes, she is really pretty. And she dresses like girls, unlike me. So you can guess she gets asked out a lot. But my friend always somehow manages to decline them without seeming rude.

I shook my head remembering the chore Lila gave me to do.

I smiled at her, "You go ahead, I'll catch up."

I warily looked at the cleaning materials I threw to the corner. This is gonna be a long day.