Chapter 87

Nearly a quarter of a day had passed without the arrival of a baby. Rory had only progressed one centimeter in those hours. She was beyond ready to have labor over and be holding her baby girl in her arms.

A light knock on the door alerted the room's occupants to the arrival of the doctor, who had been checking in every hour.

"You're feeling like you're never going to give birth, aren't you?"

Rory nodded. "What is taking so long? Is something wrong?"

Dr. Cameron shook her head. "No, sometimes things stall like this. Since you're at seven now, I don't want to give you anything. I have a feeling that once you move to eight, there will be very little time until you reach ten and start pushing."

"Any suggestions to speed this up?"

"If it's the pain that's getting to you, you can get an epidural. But like I said, I have a hunch that it won't be long so if you want one, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Though she never talked about it, Rory wanted to go through labor without drugs. It wasn't because she was against modern medicine; she just didn't want the after effects of an epidural that might hinder her ability to hold Lora or delay trying to nurse. She knew labor would be painful but missing the baby's first few hours would have more of a lasting impact than the pain of labor would.

"No, I don't want an epidural."

Lorelai chuckled. "She wants to lord the pain of childbirth over Lora like I have done with her all her life."

Despite the frustration she felt, Rory laughed. "I have to be able to remember every little pain so I can lay beside Lora on her birthday every year to relay the miraculous story of her arrival."

*****

As had become routine, Emily, Luke, and Lorelai stepped into the hall for Dr. Cameron to check Rory's progress in private. The last six checks had yielded no new news but Lorelai was hopeful this one would show something, anything. Even though Rory was thirty-two years old, Lorelai wanted nothing more than to swoop in and protect her daughter from any pain she suffered.

The door opened, revealing the doctor who was shaking her head.

"Nothing?" Lorelai asked.

"Nope," the doctor said simply.

Lorelai turned to Luke and Emily. "I am beginning to wonder if I'll delivery before Rory does."

From within her daughter's room, Lorelai heard Rory yell, "I heard that!"

Returning to the room, Lorelai spied the utter disappointment that was spelled all over Rory's features. "You'll get there. And soon. Lora can't hold out much longer."

"Want to bet on that?" Sarcasm was evident in Rory's retort.

Placing her hand on Rory's leg, Lorelai nodded. "No I don't but I agree with Dr. Cameron. I bet it will be soon."

As the last word left Lorelai's lips, a debilitating contraction overtook Rory's body. She cried out in pain as Logan held onto her hand. Judging by his face, Rory wasn't the only one who was in physical pain when contractions hit. Logan didn't mention it, though. He seemed to understand that whatever it took to help Rory made all of the hurt worth it.

*****

Forty minutes later, Logan noticed that the contractions had not only increased in timing but, if Rory's screams were any indication, the pain had picked up as well. He knew Dr. Cameron would be making her way in soon but he began to wonder if they'd be able to make it the twenty minutes or so until she came back on her own.

Looking up, he made eye contact with Lorelai. She seemed to understand what Logan's concern was. Without a word, she nodded to Luke, gesturing to the door. The pair got up and disappeared into the hallway. Emily had left a while before to wander to the cafeteria.

Rory, whose eyes had been squeezed shut, looked around to find only she and Logan were there. "Where'd Mom and Luke go?"

Logan wiped beads of sweat from Rory's forehead. "I think she went find Dr. Cameron. We're wondering if you're getting close."

Another contraction came. Logan rubbed Rory's back and held her hand as the pain endured. As the contraction lessened, Rory's body became oddly tense. Her eyes rounded and she looked up at Logan. "I feel the need to push."

Knowing that was a sign the baby's arrival was imminent, Logan pushed the button for the nurse. Not even five seconds later, Dr. Cameron and Lorelai reentered the room.

"I need to push! Now!" Rory yelled, not caring who heard.

The nurse pushed into the room and followed the orders of Dr. Cameron. After checking Rory, she confirmed that Rory was dilated to ten centimeters. She instructed Rory to hold off on pushing for a just a moment while the nursing staff got a few things ready.

"I don't know if I can. I really need to push!"

Logan looked at Lorelai who had tears in her eyes. Moving to Rory, she leaned down and kissed her head. "I love you, kid." She looked up at Logan. "Please come get me when the baby comes and everything calms down."

Rory's eyes snapped open. "Where are you going? Aren't you staying here with me?"

Lorelai smiled. "You never asked me to stay with you so I didn't want to assume. If you want me here, I'm here."

"I want you here!"

Tears began to fall from Lorelai's bright eyes. Logan saw how much it meant for Rory to want her mother present for the baby's birth. He didn't mind, either, because throughout everything, Lorelai had been very supportive of his relationship with Rory. This was the least they do could to show her how important she was to Rory...to both of them.

Moments later, Dr. Cameron told Rory that she could begin pushing with each contraction she felt. Lorelai and Logan stood on either side, holding her hands and helping coach her through the birth. One contraction came and went. So did another. And another. The fourth caused Rory to collapse onto the pillow, already very tired.

Dr. Cameron saw the exhaustion. "Rory, you have to pace yourself. If you go too hard, too fast, you're going to wear yourself out."

Rory's eyes became wet. "I am so tired already. I can't keep pushing."

Lorelai struggled to help Rory get back into position, as the next contraction would be starting any second. "You have to push through it. You have to. Come on, kid. Get ready."

The contraction started and Rory gave it all she had.

Dr. Cameron smiled. "The baby is crowning. Keep going, Rory! You're almost there!"

There were mere seconds between the end of that contraction and the start of another. Logan was in awe, watching Rory find strength deep within to keep pushing.

A minute passed with two more contractions. The doctor kept urging Rory to push, saying Lora's shoulders were almost through and that the rest would be much easier.

Logan saw Rory scrounge up every ounce of fight left and give enough of a push to bring Lorelai Gail Huntzberger into the world. Looking on, he could not believe the feeling that washed over him as he gazed at his daughter in the hands of the doctor.

He was a father.