38.5: Mike- Loose Canon

keep your friends close

****

IT WASN'T LIKE I hated that I was with my brother right now. However, if it weren't for the phone call I got earlier, I would've stayed with Fletcher longer. I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that he was my boyfriend. Is this what it feels like when you're overjoyed?

"That was unnecessary, Kennedy." I seethed at my older brother. He always had a tendency to go overboard, and I was always the one cleaning up after him. I didn't have a clue as to why Kennedy was doing this, neither could I ask. I was simply asked to bring my car. "Enzo's my friend."

"Would you really say that's the right word?" Kennedy raised his eyebrow as he took a right turn and sped down the street. "Dalton was responsible for our dad's death. Have some loyalty."

"We can't hold parents' mistakes over their kids," I turned in my seat to check on Enzo. Kennedy was smug when he came out with an unconscious Enzo and dumped him into the backseat. I looked daggers at Kennedy and made it obvious that I was going to punch the shit out of him when we reached his hideout. "Dad didn't show any loyalty to his own sons, what makes you think I'll do the same for him?"

"Enough about that," Kennedy glanced at his side mirror. "I think we're being followed."

"What?" I look to my right and sure enough, there was a black sedan tailing us. "Are these people stupid? They're making it so obvious."

"Someone might stop us from the front," Kennedy stepped on the gas pedal with more pressure. "Call Zeke and tell him we need new directions."

I dialed Zeke right away and briefed him about our situation. In a few minutes, Zeke sent an updated route.

"Watch out for the second car," he told us when I put him on speaker. "I can't hack into their system. Just follow the map no matter what, Kennedy."

"That sounds ominous," Kennedy mused before the surrounding air around him stilled. I glared at him but said nothing. When Kennedy needed to be serious, his entire demeanor changed. I just wasn't sure if it was for the better. "Mike, check the back and see if we have any ammo."

"Ammo?" A voice from the back spoke up. Their tone was incredulous. "Are you guys going to kill someone?"

"Ah, the princess woke up. Did you have a nice nap?" Kennedy joked again before taking a sharp left turn. "And no, we have bigger problems than you. Mike for fuck's sake, check."

My eyes refused to meet with Enzo's. I could feel him staring as I looked through the glove compartment after pulling out a small, flat case underneath the floor liner.

"Mike, what's the status?" Kennedy checked in his rearview mirror.

"You need to go straight for one mile and take a right." I looked at the map Zeke shared with me. The second car wasn't showing up on the map, but the black sedan was still behind us. "You don't have to worry about another car stopping us from the front anymore."