Hello Brother

Lucille rushed over to her grandmother's home. She walked right into the house needing to know what was going on.

She finally found her grandma in the kitchen with a white male. They both stood up from the dining table.

"Hello Lucille", Nanna Sarah greeted with a smile on her face. "This is Jared. Your brother."

Her heart dropped. Her palms were sweaty, knees weak. She felt like she would collapse at any moment. This was surreal.

"I didn't think I'd meet you this soon", Lucille uttered.

"I've wanted to meet you for so long, Lucille. You have no idea."

Lucille's body went limp when her brother wrapped his arms around her. That still sounded weird. Her brother. She slowly brought her arms up to return the gesture.

"I'm sorry I'm here so early. I got a call last night and I got right on the road. I couldn't wait any longer", his voice started to crack. "You're the only family
I've got left."

"It's no problem", Lucille answered. "But who called you?"

"This man by the name of Shane", he responded in an unsure tone. "He said you knew I was coming", he went on.

"Of course, I knew", Lucille lied. "Like I said I just wasn't expecting us to meet so soon."

She took in her brother's appearance for the first time. He had a tall, lean figure, dark brown hair, and the same dark brown eyes that she had.

"I have so many questions", she mumbled.

"And I want to answer them", he said. "How about we have breakfast somewhere?"

Lucille glanced at Nanna Sarah. She nodded, encouraging her to answer.

"Okay, let me just make a phone call to my boss and we can go", she said.

She walked slowly up the narrow staircase in Nanna Sarah's home to get some privacy. She entered the bathroom, shutting the door behind her.

She dialed Oliver's phone number. He picked up immediately.

"Is everything okay?", he asked upon answering. "You left really early."

"He's here", she said plainly.

"Who's there?", Oliver asked.

"My brother", a sigh of relief escaped her lips. "He's here."

"Lucille are you alright", there was noise coming from Oliver's end as if he had gotten out of bed.

"Oliver I'm fine", she answered. "I'm just a little shaken up I wasn't expecting this. Not today at least."

She sighed. "I'll be in a little later to work."

"Take the day off", he said. "We've got this thing in the bag."

------------------------

"So you don't talk to your mom much?", he asked.

"Wait I'm sorry", he said immediately when he saw the sour look that had made its way to Lucille's face. "I shouldn't have asked that."