eleven [edited]

My momma said that she wanted me to experience happiness, but that seemed close to impossible to accomplish when the people I cared for left me

   My momma said that she wanted me to experience happiness, but that seemed close to impossible to accomplish when the people I cared for left me. I started to wonder what I did wrong. I did what my momma wanted me to do, I followed my dad's rules, and I kept all of my friend's secrets, so why did I feel so lonely?

It felt like the only time I didn't worry about anything was in school. I practically skipped lunch because being around Milo and Warren, knowing that they didn't want me there hurt. I felt like I was digging myself in a never-ending hole that I wouldn't be able to escape from. I couldn't bring myself to talk with them about it for the simple fact that it would drive them further away from me.

I'd rather distance myself than watch them leave me.

     "Miracle, is everything okay?" Ms. Cae, my Biomed teacher questioned me lightly.

She brought the attention of everyone in the classroom to me. I nodded my head and stared down at the newspaper clipping that Harrison gave me during the last period.​

I cleared my throat, answering, "Yes, ma'am, I'm fine. Just tired."

Opening my notebook, I placed the paper on a page and lifted it up to my face. The black-and-white faces of a smiling Omar Day and frowning Khari stood out against the small print black font. The black desk smelled of lemon Pine-Sol irritated my senses, and the headline did more than making my stomach flip.

'Seven-Year-Old Cries, "I didn't kill him on purpose" As Officers Take Him To Youth Detention Center'

I ignored the class going on around me when my phone buzzed with a message from Harrison.

HareBear-- See? I told u he was crazy.

To HareBear-- Idk harrison. I don't think he meant to do it.

HareBear--Did u even read the whole thing?? He admitted to it in court and spent four years in juvie.

To HareBear--Why are you so caught up in it?

HareBear--It doesn't matter. Im just tryna look out for u. He takin ya friends away from u and they gon fully drop u soon if you don't get them away from him.

I gnawed on my bottom lip, rereading the message for the remainder of the class. Khari went to a detention center at only seven years old after the death of his friend. He did it eleven years ago, and claimed that it was an accident, so how could I hold that up against him? I barely even knew him; Milo barely even knew him. How did he manage to get her so interested in him in a matter of two weeks?

What did he have that I didn't? I was smart, nice, and pretty. Everyone liked me, and those that didn't meet me. I gave my friends my time and loyalty, and all Khari gave them was intrigue.

"I need to tell them..."