Chapter Twenty-five

1952 — Suffolk, England

   Somerlayton Hall was covered in light and colour and music. The scent of ginger and peppermint was in every room of the large house, along with the scent of cooking red deer and haw berries. Every Christmas, Thomas threw a party and invited each of their friends. It was the one moment in their life where the house was full of vampires from all over the world and different times. Instead of letting her sorrows get in her way, Eleanor Fraser decided that it would be best to continue with the tradition and honour Thomas along the way.

   When she was in the orphanage, Christmas meant praying and a different kind of food the morning of the 25th, and then more praying to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary for carrying him. There was no tree, no gifts, not even a merry morning with laughter and happiness. Eleanor remembered putting on her currant coloured uniform and praying, reading from the bible and listening to the teachings of the Sisters.

   When she was with the Mikaelson's, Christmas meant parties and extravagant gifts, everything she never had while in the orphanage. The houses were all extravagantly decorated, every smell overwhelming her senses, and the lavish gifts they would give her. One year, she recalled Klaus giving her a diamond necklace that seemed to have more diamonds than she could count. Elijah had given her a library with first editions of her favourite books, and Rebekah decided to give her a brand new wardrobe brought specifically from Italy and France. Lavish gifts for a girl that was not used to any of it.

   But, when she was with Thomas and Gianni, Christmas was different. Christmas with them meant family and laughter and comfort. Each year they would throw a party with friends, people she knew and became friends with throughout the years. Wherever they lived, the house would e decorated by them instead of servants. A giant pine tree would sit in the centre of the room, all of it decorated lovingly by them with ornaments that had been in Thomas' family and some that were made by Gianni when he was a child. Although the house would be full of vampires, they all felt human for that one night. They drank expensive drinks, dined on food that was made with local herbs and edible flowers, and opened gifts that were exchanged with each other. Christmas was certainly more comfortable with Thomas and Gianni, and she would greatly miss those years. But, she didn't want to break the tradition, so she kept it alive. Invitations were sent, Somerlayton Hall was decorated, food was prepared, and there was music playing all over the house.

   Eleanor Fraser watched as people and vampires mingled with each other, one aware that the other was mortal while the other didn't think differently. Vampires of all ages and from different times moved around her, all of them appearing as if they belonged. And they did. They appeared with paper crowns on their heads just like the humans did, they laughed loudly just like humans did, and they danced carefully, just like humans did. It was a kaleidoscope of comfort and perfection, something that reminded her of Thomas Cummings.

   "If he were still alive, I think he would have loved it," a voice said from besides her.

   Eleanor turned her head to see Gianni grinning down at her. She forced a small smile on her lips and nodded. "I think he would have loved it, too," she said, turning back to the dancing crowd. "Each person here knew who Thomas was, and they all loved him."

   "Except for Klaus," Gianni said with a shrug of his shoulders. "I'm sure he didn't like or know Thomas."

   She let out a genuine chuckle and nodded again. "Except for Klaus," she agreed. "But, everyone else did. I think that's why they all came this year, because they wanted to bid farewell to their old friend. If it weren't for them loving Thomas so much, I don't think they would have come."

   "Oh, please!" the boy scoffed. "You honestly think that everyone here came solely to say goodbye to him? Let me remind you that they are also your friends, and they came here because they wanted to spend Christmas with us." He took a sip from the champagne in his hands and grinned. "It's a moment of happiness, and that's why they all wanted to come, because Thomas meant happiness to them—to us."