Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

e i g h t | Kappa Phi

I was a woman on a mission.

The full sleeved red blouse with the scoop neckline paired with my best jeans was what I'd finally decided on.

I'd vetoed everything else in favor of the clothes laid out on my bed so that I could look less like I was in for kicking back and more like I'd made an effort. But not too much, of course. I wanted my effort to be effortless.

"Are you done?" Matt yawned as he lay on his back on Ella's bed, looking up from his phone at me. "I really don't know why you're putting so much thought into what you're wearing. I mean, it's a fucking frat party."

Ella stopped brushing her hair and looked at him through the mirror. "Because every once in a while, we'd like to, genius. Also, in case you went temporarily deaf a couple of hours ago and didn't hear what I told you, then Noah's taking Riley, so that's a done thing."

"Um, if I may remind you," I chimed in, "I was already going for you. A certain redhead you said you wanted to see ring a bell?"

"Well, it's at Kappa Phi," Matt pointed out, ignoring me. "And it's not like anybody cares what you're wearing in general, even. Guys only look two places anyway."

"Okay, stop," I groaned loudly. "No more of this, please. When are you guys leaving?"

"We're leaving now," Ella said, putting down her brush. "And you're supposed to be leaving in half an hour with Noah."

I frowned. "What?" He did say he'd take me, but no details were shared and I was as clueless as anything as I watched Ella put her make up on. I'd figured he'd probably blow me off and I could go with a friend from the dorm later. I didn't blame him if he did blow me off. If you thought on it, we weren't exactly even friends yet, were we?

"Yeah. Mac practically stalked me down to my class to tell me to give you a heads up."

"What?" I frowned to myself. Did that mean Mac was making him take me? Or was he doing this because he wanted to?

Could Mac really make Noah do something he didn't want to do?

I was pretty sure that was a big no.

A little elated and more than enough panicked, I scooped the clothes off the bed and made a run for bathroom. "And you're telling me this now?"

"Well," she had the grace to look guilty. "I thought it gave you less time to back out or something, you know?"

I snorted and Matt answered her before I could, "Oh Ella. She definitely wasn't going to back out."

It pained me to say he was right.

But he was, and I had a party to get ready for.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

He was a whole ten minutes early and man, I loved that.

Fortunately, I was ready and had just finished tying the laces on my sneakers (Matt said there were no heels at a Kappa Phi shindig, thank God) and didn't keep him waiting long.

Okay, play it cool, I told myself. Just be cool, Riley.

"Hi," I smiled up at him big and bright the moment I opened the door.