the t w e n t y - f i r s t letter

Dear Hunter,

I didn't want people to know about us, because I wasn't the kind of person who basked in attention. Somehow they found out anyway. As a result of the nature of our relationship, we were very much the topic of conversation around school for a number of weeks. One of the ultimate 'bad boys' of the school and the antisocial weirdo with the pink hair? I don't think Tridale High had seen a pair like us before, and I didn't believe they would again.

Things started getting better for me. You would still stick up for me when your friends made comments or gave me looks, but you became protective, and I loved it. You weren't possessive, but you were the good kind of protective that everyone wants in their partner.

More and more people tried to talk to me. This made me wary, because I didn't want to simply make friends because I was dating you, so most of the friendships didn't last more than a week.

It was perfect. That's the only way I could describe it. At this time, there was hardly anything wrong with my life. When I look back on it now, Sixth Form was where I peaked. But I guess all good things must come to an end. And perfection is only temporary.

Temporary perfection, that's what we were. But I wanted us to be so much more than that. I wanted the sublimity to be eternal, and I genuinely believed that we would grow old together, that we would thrive and when we died we would soar into the galaxy. It's so dumb when I recall it, but I had so much faith in you. In us.

I can barely breathe.

All my love, always,
Maia.