the t w e n t y - t h i r d letter

Dear Hunter,

The first few months were, honestly, the best of my life. You'd sacrifice time with your friends, whom you'd known much longer than you'd known me, and it seemed like you saw nobody except for plain, boring, desperate old Maia Chambers. God know's I loved it. I loved being the centre of somebody else's world for once in my life, or so they claimed. Sometimes I contemplate what I even was to you. Was I a mere shadow, something to tag along and follow you and attach to you without a real purpose? Or was I more than that? Less than that? Clearly it was the latter, for you to be willing to throw away something with so much potential to be great, without an attempt to explain anything.

Back to the point. You would frequently compliment me, notice things about me that nobody else did, make sure I wasn't excluded. You showed me off to your friends and you kissed me in front of them. My first kiss was taken by you, Hunter, and that hurts, too. A lot.

It was only afterwards, only when we got about six months into our relationship, that you started to change. I still don't know what it was, or why you started acting so differently around me.

Was it something I did? Because if it was, I would have gone through anything and everything to put it right. You know I would.

All my love, always,
Maia.