Chapter Fourteen

Kim

Everything was coming together smoothly. Well everything except the wedding plans. Lia and Mrs G couldn't seem to stop butting heads about what should or shouldn't be at my wedding. I left them to it because it kept them busy while the guys and I worked on a solution to our bigger problems.

We were home alone today, which meant for the moment wedding planning was the last thing on my mind. I decided I'd intervene once this whole circus with the Abruzzos was over. So far Luca's private investigator and IT expert, Piero, had come across a lot of good information on Anabel that would get them to back off, but it still lacked something. We needed an ace in the hole, something that would keep the entire Abruzzo family and it's allies in check. We needed info that could topple their empire if they ever decided to dishonor our agreements. My mind churned as I sat on the sofa in Luca's office only half listening to the conversation they were having.

Think Kimmy, I urged myself. What would they value more than anything?

Family...Honesty...

"Eureeeeeka!" I yelled, "man I've always wanted to say that," I snickered to myself.

"Yes Kimberly?" Luca asked, I looked over to find both men staring intently at me.

"What?" I asked, feeling suddenly awkward with all the silent staring.

"You said uhh, eureka, so I thought you had something to say," he said patiently as if speaking to a child.

"Oh yeah! I do," I exclaimed as I recalled the epiphany I'd just had.

"Love, this would be the point at which you say it," Luca said in a mix of irritation and amusement.

"Right, got it! So I was thinking, Italians value loyalty and stuff right? What if there was some way to prove that the Abruzzos were double crossers? I mean they can't be total goodie goodies and if they aren't there has to be evidence of that somewhere!"

I looked back and forth between the both of them. Luca wore a contemplative expression, but it was Piero who spoke.

"That, signora, is actually a workable idea and I have a few persons in mind that may be able to provide us with the information we need," he said in a steady tone.

I turned to Luca who had a strange gleam in his eyes and small smile on his face. If I wasn't mistaken, I'd say that was pride which I intended to rub in his face as soon as we were alone.

"Well it seems our meeting was productive after all," Luca said as he rose to his feet, "Piero, I trust you'll be in touch when you have what we need?"

Piero, who was now standing as well nodded in agreement. They shook hands before he turned to me and kissed my knuckles. Together, Luca and I saw him to the door and watched as he left the property.

"You're proud of meeee," I teased in a smug sing-song voice.

He didn't respond but as soon as the door closed behind us he pulled me into him. I looked up at him expectantly as his arms encircled my waist, I couldn't help the way my heart galloped in my chest. I mean, not too long ago he was fighting me tooth and nail, denying the practically tangible chemistry between us.

"Yes my love, I am very proud of you, you never cease to amaze me," he said with a peck to my forehead.

"Well I can't have you getting bored with me before we're even married," I said in my best seductive voice.

For a second I thought it had failed, that is until I felt the evidence of its effectiveness hard against my stomach. I grinned openly before getting on the tip of my toes to press my lips to his. I felt his hold on me tighten as he pried my lips apart and explored my mouth with his tongue. I whimpered in sheer delight at the liquid heat that pooled between my thighs. He straightened his stance, sensing that my legs would no longer support me. I clutched his shoulders like a drowning man's last hope, savoring the taste of him on my lips as my feet dangled above the floor.