Chapter 3- Cinderella

Jake

"Hello, Charming." 

A beautiful girl says, smiling at me. I look her up and down and see she is Jimmy's new maid of the month.

"Save it for the other guys," I state gruffly, rolling my eyes. 

Her smile dims and all I can see now is sadness behind her eyes.

"This way, sir," She says quietly, motioning for me to follow.

I follow her to the dining room and when the doorbell rings again she hurries off. I follow her with my eyes.

"Beautiful isn't she?" Jimmy says, walking into the room.

"Very," I agree with him.

Philip walks in with his arm around the maid. She is smiling at him, but it doesn't reach her eyes. He leans down and whispers something into her ear and she fakes a laugh. It sounds real but I can see right through it. You don't become a leader in the mafia without being able to tell if something, or someone, is fake.

"You can leave now Brittney," Jimmy says to her.

"Yes, sir." She says nodding her head. 

She scurries out of the room, and I turn to look at Jimmy as he starts talking.

----------------------

"I'm going to head home," I say, slightly slurring. 

I get up from my seat and turn around bumping into the maid.

"Watch it, maid," I growl, her eyes widen, and she jumps out of the way.

"Sorry, sir." She whispers.

"Trash like you should know to stay out of people's way." 

With that, I walk out of the house and hop into my car. When I get back to my home, I go to sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

----------------------

"You've got to get up!" Janice says.

"Five more minutes," I say, my head pounding. 

I really don't remember much of last night, but I'm guessing I drank a lot.

"Get up now Jake, you're going to be late." 

When she says my name I bolt straight up, knowing she means business. Janice is part of my staff, but I think of her as more of a mother. She has been working with my family for years and she practically raised me. She's the closest thing to a mom that I have.

"Fine fine, I'll be down in a second," I tell her. When I hear her leave, I slowly get out of bed and stretch.

I've got a meeting with a landowner about a piece of real estate on the coast. I want to turn it into a club of sorts. Also, it will have a secret room for trading and negotiations, of course. Janice knows about everything, and she helps me schedule all of my events and such. With a sigh, I get up and pull on the suit she has hung up for me.

"See you later Janice!" I shout through the house.

"Goodbye, don't get shot, and if you do, don't call me!" She shouts back.

I smile and shake my head. Putting on a straight face, I get into the car and am driven to the new property.

---------------------

Getting what I wanted was easy. I got the plans, and I am going to show them to Jimmy. Jimmy is my best friend and my second in command. Sometimes he doesn't make the best choices.  Like his maid of the month thing. He literally just buys them to look at, as far as I know. Honestly, I don't care what he does with them. It's not my deal. Most of them actually choose to be in the business from what I've been told. His new maid is different, though. Normally they don't stop when I tell them not to bother. While most of them do have a choice, I have a feeling this one didn't.

When the car pulls up to Jimmy's mansion, I step out and ring the doorbell. In a few seconds, the new maid opens the door, when she sees it me, she immediately tenses and drops her gaze and steps behind the door.

"This way sir," she says quietly, still avoiding my gaze.

I wonder what I did, she seems scared of me, or something along those lines. If she really was forced into this business, I'd understand weariness in general, but this seems different. She leads me to the backyard where Jimmy is sitting, and quickly scurries away.

"Did I do something last night? The maid seems scared of me." I ask him. 

He shrugs and his eyes zero in on the folder I have with me.

"Blueprints?"

---------------------

"Bye Cinderella," I say to the maid. 

Her beautiful blue eyes snap up to meet mine. I called her Cinderella because when we first met, she called me Charming. She looks at me with confusion for a minute then she seems to realize the meaning because she gives me a small smile. She brushes a lock of her sand-colored hair behind her ear, her gaze still locked with mine. The smile is wiped off her face so quickly it's almost shocking as sadness flashes through her eyes and she drops her gaze again.

"Goodbye, sir," she says quietly and walks out of the room.

It's really late, about three a.m. and I'm ready to go to sleep. My driver is already waiting for me outside, so I just hop in. That night, I dream about beaches and blue oceans.

---------------------

"You were innocent, you were stealing my heart..." I continue singing in the shower. I'm actually a good singer but the leader of the mafia singing is kind of a no. Country is one of my favorite genres. Again, not a very good quality for others to know. I hop out of the shower and pull a towel around my waist.

I'm going to Jimmy's today.

The thought brings a smile to my face. Obviously, because I get to see my best friend.

Uh huh. Keep telling yourself that.

It's true.

Mhm.

Fine. The truth is, sometimes I find interest in people when I don't know their stories. Most people I come into contact with are more of an open book, or I did my research on them first. I find the new maid to be a bit of a challenge. An intrigue.

That's more like it. It's about the maid.

I think I've been in one too many fist fights. I'm talking to myself. I go downstairs and grab the piece of toast Janice hands me.

"I'm going over to Jimmy's see you later," I tell her. She nods and goes off to a different part of the mansion.

************************************
How are you liking the book so far? 

New Note: I wrote this book when I was mostly fourteen, so I apologize for the very basic names and the number of names that start with "J". I didn't even realize that until someone commented.