Chapter Six

Carter's Point of View

"Shhh. Do you hear that?" He silenced my begging-of just booking it and not looking back. But, he simply ignored that, of course.

"Hear what?" I nervously asked.

"It sounds like footsteps," He told me. "I smell fire too."

"Then we have to get out of here!" I tried to run, but I was suddenly pulled against his chest. He didn't even wince once my back had touched his deep cuts.

"No, we stay." He whispered in my ear, only causing me to panic more.

"Why? The tunnel could be on fire!"

"So let it burn. Everybody dies in the end anyway." He stated, as if it weren't a big deal.

"Let go of me," I struggled in his tight grip hoping to free myself so I could run.

"He's not gonna like it, Carter." His warning was unfortunately the least of my worries once he had let go of me. I ran away from him, from what kind of devil he was talking about. I ran past the rowdy bats, the growling. But there were no wolves howling. Finally, I saw the exit, and it only made me run faster.

I suddenly smelt the smoke, and my heart nearly sank to the pit of my stomach. "Carter, stop!" I heard the deep voice of Harry as I approached the exit. I took a glance behind me and just as my left foot landed on the grass, I felt my like my throat had tightened. I stopped and landed knees, gasping for air.

It felt as if two hands were wrapped around my neck, choking me to my death. Someone grabbed me and pulled me back into the tunnel, but I was slowly beginning to lose air. "Shit! Let go of her neck! Your gonna fucking kill her!" I heard Harry's voice booming in the tunnel, but I had no clue who he was talking to. I couldn't breathe in enough oxygen. Harry continued to yell profanities until I was slowly beginning to see small black dots.

"You can't keep killing people you need, you piece of shit!"

The was the last thing Harry yelled before I could so suddenly breathe again. I rolled onto my stomach, breathing heavily as I tried to fill my lungs with enough oxygen. Harry quietly helped me up as he dragged me over to the wall. I sat down, my body still shaking in fear. I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks.

"What was t-that?" I cried, covering my mouth to hold back the sobs.

"I told you the darkness likes you," Was all he could say.

• • •

"But, why?" I quietly asked after a period of silence.

"It's obvious, Carter. You walked into your own hell, and there's no getting out."

"There has to be a way," I whispered to him.

"Don't bother. I tried everything, and learned my lesson." He pointed to the three deep gashes. My eyes widened as I slowly lifted my hand to trace my fingers over them. Still, he didn't even wince.

"Why aren't they bleeding?" I asked, but all he did was laugh. "What's so funny?"

He shook his head. "It's funny how people don't know what the devil is capable of doing. It just comes back to bite them in the ass. Never saw it coming."

I felt like his words were directed towards me, but I did my best to just ignore it. I then thought over what everybody would be doing once noticed I had disappeared.

"What if everyone notices I've disappeared?"

"That's not gonna change anything," He stood up and pulled me up with him. "Your friends don't give a shit about where you are now."

"My parents do," I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

He laughed at me again. "No they don't."

"Excuse me?" I was utterly shocked for the fact that he had the courage to speak his mind. "You don't even know my parents."

"I do, actually. They knew my parents. And I used to watch you play on the playground during recess every single day," He shrugged.

"I don't remember seeing you." I tried to remember what he was saying, but I just couldn't picture it in my mind.

"Because you didn't know I existed," He laughed, leaning his right shoulder against the wall.

"Aren't you freezing without a shirt?" I asked, ignoring he last statement.

"What makes you think I'm freezing?"

"Because it's really cold in here," I shivered.

"It's bloody hot in here!" He exclaimed, looking at me as if I had lost my mind. I only gave him the same look. My teeth started to chatter and Harry pushed himself off the wall as he stood closer to me. The heat was radiating of his body and I just wanted to hug him for more warmth. "We can't waste anymore time in the open. We gotta go back."

I slowly nodded and followed him down the tunnel. Everything seem to be quiet. No growling, no howling, no bats, I hadn't even seen the dead body where it had laid when I first saw it.

"Do. . . D-Do you think that dead guy is actually still alive?" I quietly asked Harry.

"Don't be silly, Carter," Harry scoffed.

"But, he's gone."

"They probably got rid of him."

They?

The lantern in Harry's hand kept flickering and I was afraid it would blow out.

"Why am I not hungry? I haven't eaten in hours." Everything was so confusing, it only scared me more. Before he could even respond, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I froze, my eyes widening as I stared at Harry standing in front of me.

"A true devils work of art," Harry commented, staring at whatever was behind me. I slowly turned around, my jaw dropping in pure shock and terror.

"Oh my god," I whispered, backing away from the creature standing in front of me. It was a human body, but the eyes were completely white and the skin was a light green. It opened it's mouth, several flies flying out as I watched tiny spiders creep out of it's black hair. It suddenly raised their arms toward me.

"It wants a hug from you." Harry stifled a laugh as I shook my head.

"No, no thank you." I guess it didn't like the sound of that, because its mouth opened wider and let out a loud scream. Harry pulled me behind him and suddenly it stopped screaming. Cowering away, it disappeared into the darkness and I let out a cold sigh of relief.

"I feel like I'm having a nightmare," I confessed, gripping my hair tightly.

"You are. But, this time, it's just reality."

___________________________________
Authors Note -

I still apologize if it is in anyway boring or stupid. Lol

And I listened to, What The Water Gave Me by Florence + The Machine