CHAPTER 5.2

"He brought the blade down

"He brought the blade down."

The sound of shattering metal echoed through the small shop. Lukas stared at the hilt of his sword in disbelief as Honey's heart froze in her chest as she saw the cloaked Mutare was still standing. Dai held a sword in front of him, one not made of any metal Honey had ever seen before.

Instead, it looked as if it was made completely from ice, with spines crawling up its blade, like thorns on the stem of a rose. Dai held the sword of ice out in front of him as Lukas inspected the hilt of what was once his sword, a dark grin crawling across his lips as Honey felt her stomach churn with nervousness as she saw Lukas stare down Dai.

"Lukas, God of the Flames," the cloaked Mutare said, straightening his posture as he examined his sword made of ice. "I wondered when Fire God Lukas and Lekki girl Honey would come to Muurin after I saw them in the woods," he said, almost as though he was speaking to himself.

A mad grin spread across Lukas's lips as he heard the Mutare's words. He knew all the pieces of the puzzle were there in the woods that day, but it seemed one slipped right through his fingers. This was to be the Mutare he needed to find the Rose Book. The one who'd become his familiar.

This day was to go down in history as the day all the pieces of the puzzle came together once and for all. "You should know how far it is to your own city," he said, inspecting the Mutare with glittering gray eyes. "You would've had to walk, too. My guess is that you were just behind us as we entered Muurin. You knew we'd be here, didn't you?"

"Fire God Lukas isn't half as smart as he thinks he is," Dai said, a taunting grin on his lips before he melted into shadow and reappeared before Lukas, shocking the god as he plunged the thorned sword of ice he gripped as tightly as he could in his bare hands through Lukas's chest. "Or as strong."

Lukas looked down at the sword embedded his chest, unconcerned, as Honey's stomach twisted with horror. "So it seems the Mutare have been dabbling in the art of magic once again. Don't you creatures ever learn?" he spat shaking his head. He then disappeared with a great flash of light before reforming before Dai, a different sword in his hands.

He faced the Mutare as flames began to flicker around them consuming the dark stone walls of the once small and peaceful shop. Harac had backed away from the two of them, standing near Honey, his own eyes wide, as he knew what Lukas did not about the young Mutare he called his opponent.

"The Twin Blade of Light," Dai commented looking at the sword before him. "The most powerful blade ever created with its strength only to be rivaled by the Twin Blade of Shadow, that has been lost for the past millennia, with the Dark Master," he said as Lukas visibly flinched at the name of the dark god. "This looks as though it shall be fun," Dai said.

He raised his hand and ice crawled upon the walls, licking up the flames, and causing the room to grow colder by the heartbeat. Then Dai clenched his fist and spears made from ice shot forwards seeking Lukas's blood, controlled only by the cloaked Mutare's mind.

The god let himself catch fire and the ice melted away before it could even touch him. "Impressive control over the magic that you've stolen from the gods, Mutare," the god spat, walking towards the smaller creature. "Yet it is no match for the real thing," he said, and the room caught fire once more.

Only not entirely. Patches of fire and ice were scattered throughout the room, each one controlled by the other magic wielder, battling to destroy the other, just as their masters did. The god then disappeared with a flash of light, before reappearing behind the Mutare.

Dai, however, was ready for the god's attack and he blocked the god's attack, with his own sword of ice. The force behind the attack rattled Dai to the bone. He gritted his teeth, willing himself to remain strong. Lukas smirked as he heard the shattering of the ice blade that knocked Dai to the ground.

The Mutare looked at the sword pointed at his throat. "If Fire God Lukas wishes to make me his familiar then I will kill myself," the cloaked Mutare snapped, automatically. "I refuse to become the tool of a god," he snapped, eyes frozen under the hood of his cloak as he knew the truth behind the words he spoke.

Lukas said nothing for a long while, thinking of what would be the best way to deal with the issue. Finally, he began the enchantment.

"You lay defeated in battle, yet I have the mercy to spare your life," the god said, and Dai didn't move just looked up hopelessly at the god above him. "For this mercy, I will bind your soul to my blade, until your debt has been paid," he continued still pointing the sword at the Mutare, the same way he had when he tried to bind the female Mutare to his blade. Only this time it was going to be different. It had to be different. "I bind this curse with your blood."

With those words, Lukas pierced his blade into Dai's shoulder, slashing through the soft fabric of his cloak. Dai was all too clearly in pain, but he had bit his lip so he wouldn't make a noise. He refused to show any signs of pain.

The curse was like fire spreading through his veins, setting his body ablaze. A small part inside of his almost wanted to die and have it just be over with already. Yet he knew, there was no way he was dying. At least, not before he accomplished what he had come to Muurin to do, that is.

Finally, the pain fled from Dai's body.

Lukas pulled the sword from Dai's shoulder, watching as golden letters began to burn around Dai's throat. It looked almost like a collar, made of twisting orange and red tendrils of flame. The markings slowly faded into Dai's skin as the young Mutare regain conciseness. Lukas smiled, knowing had done it.

 Lukas smiled, knowing had done it

A U T H O R ' S N O T E

Gotta love this book

Please vote and comment if you're enjoying it too