23. Skype

If you enjoy reading my story, and would like a sequel, please show some love by voting, and leave some comments telling me your thoughts about the story so far!

For a moment, I almost forget where I am as I take in the unfamiliar surroundings. My eyes have trouble adjusting to the harsh light streaming in through the windows, and I squint my eyes to better my focus. My eyes scan the room and I spot my white lace dress on the floor from the night before, and slowly recall the events from last night as they unfold in my head.

My thoughts are like quick flashes in my mind. The limo, the art opening, Max, the endless champagne, the photograph, the game, and Harry.

Harry.

I smile fondly thinking back to the heated moment we had last night and my hand instinctively reaches for his side of the bed.

Cold.

When I'm content that I'm rested enough to get up, I walk myself on the cool floorboards to Harry's en suite bathroom. I splash my face with cool water to wake me up properly, and I wipe the sleep from my eyes.

I brush my teeth, and pull my hair back into a high ponytail.

"Harry?" I call out.

Nothing.

I patter out of the room and hear him talking to someone. Who could he be talking to at this time? I follow his voice and am led to the lounge room.

"Christ, you scared me," Harry exclaims, startled by my silent entrance.

"Who's there dear?" a woman's voice asks, and it appears to be coming from his laptop. Skype perhaps?

"It's Ava," he tells the person on the other end of the computer. "Ava, come say hello to my mum," he says and motions with his hand for me to come over to him.

I freeze dead in my tracks. Is he insane? I'm not meeting his mother like this! I haven't had any time at all to prepare, and I probably look terrible at this time. I mouth 'no', to Harry and this only amuses him. The last thing I would want her to think is that I stayed the night. I don't want her thinking I'm that kind of girl.

"Don't be shy," he smirks, in a sing-song tone. "Get over here."

He's really enjoying this.

I slowly approach the laptop screen and taking a seat next to Harry, I'm faced with a smiling, beautiful brunette woman. I'm very mindful to only show my upper half as I'm still in my underwear.

"Hi," I smile and wave to the lens. I instantly feel really silly doing so, but she waves back and says hello.

"You're just the prettiest thing," she gushes. "Even more beautiful than in the pictures."

I try to understand which pictures she is talking about and realise she's referring to the magazines. It hasn't exactly dawned on me just yet that other parts of the world have seen them. It's easy to overlook that kind of thing when your life as you knew it was falling to pieces.

"Thank you," I smile back. "You're honestly so beautiful yourself, Anne."

"Oh, I like this one," she addresses Harry. "You'll have to keep her around," she decides, laughing warmly.

The smile reaches her eyes genuinely. Kind of like the way it is with Harry. I decide right away that I really like her.

"Is that so?" he ponders smiling, resting his chin on his fist in mock thought. "Ava had a big night out last night, didn't you," he smiles, making fun of me. "I'm actually trying to figure out how she manages to still look this nice."