Chapter 13

I spend the long car journey home drowned in my thoughts as I try to form a character analysis of William. How could he be the most obnoxious, rude and arrogant person - yet rush to help me when I trip? It doesn't make sense.

I decide to dismiss the nice gesture due to his previous actions, and vow to hopefully never come across him again.

After what feels like an eternity later, we finally drive into our street and park in front of the our house.

"Home at last," I sigh while I stretch, before helping to assist Jane inside with dad.

"Oh my goodness your home, girls I want to hear every detail! What was the house like, the furnishings, the food - oh did you both make a good impression?!" Mum chants before dad swiftly interrupts.

"Enough please, they're only in the door and your daughter is ill."

"The only thing I'll miss about that house is the peace and quiet," I state while dad and I once more support Jane to mine and her shared room.

Once Jane is settled, I shut the door and flop down on my bed, letting out a satisfied laugh. As grand and luxurious as Charles' house is, I wouldn't trade it for my own. Home is definitely where the heart is, even if my mother and younger sisters can be unbearable at times.

After a while of lazing about and admiring my familiar top bunk view from the window overlooking the countryside, I decide to go for a walk.

I take the longest walk possibly to date, walking through the village onto the country lanes. From there I walk several miles ahead, admiring the breathtaking scenic views as I pass.

Apart from various cars that drive by, I am alone. I feel exhilarated and every time a gust of wind comes I stretch out my arms above my head to welcome it.

On the way back I grow tired and rebuke myself for walking so far. By the time I reach home I am a panting, sweaty mess and have a mild panic when I spot an unfamiliar car in the driveway.

I discretely slide indoors only to find everyone apart from Jane and two unknown people at the dinner table.

"Eliza, what do you think you were doing, your late for dinner and we have guests! Quickly clean yourself up, your dinner is in the oven."

I run upstairs and take the quickest shower of my life, changing into fresh and comfy clothes afterwards. I comb through my wet hair and leave it down before joining everyone.

I take my seat beside Mary and smile at a woman who looks to be the same age as mum and a young man seemingly the same age as William - no, I mustn't refer to him.

"Eliza, this is Eliane and Michael Collins," beams mum. "They're friends of dad's cousins."

"Nice to meet you," I say to which they return.

Mainly both Elaine and mum converse, with Michael adding in comments every so often. I try to discover over the course of dinner the purpose for why they are here, as knowing mum there is always some reason why.

After dinner we all spend time together in the living room. I sit in the corner of the room with a book on my lap, feeling lonely without Jane since we have company. I also feel slightly uncomfortable as Michael seems odd and will not stop staring at me. Knowing mum, inviting them was probably to try and set Michael up with one of us.

A few hours later, I try to hide my delight when they finally decide to leave. Mum accompanies them to door, whispering quietly to them. I watch them closely and am surprised when mum turns around and beams at me.

"Eliza, Michael is to attend his university ball and needs a date! Guess where your going!" She squeals. "Cambridge University Ball!"

Oh God no, this couldn't be any worse.

"Mum, they aren't really my thing," I lie, a mild form of desperation in my voice.

"Nonsense, she's going," she says to Elaine.

My breath catches in my throat for all the wrong reasons as Michael approaches me.

"I look forward to it," he grins and then turns to leave. Kitty and Lydia burst into hysterics of laughter, to which Elaine offers them a disapproved look and ushers Michael out of the house.

I am too shocked to laugh and go to my room as quickly as I can to avoid mum at this present moment.

Now what?

A/N: Guys I just want to say a big thank you for making me reach 2k reads and for your votes! I hope your enjoying this story as much as I'm enjoying writing it. I can't believe I've been able to keep a story going which shows how much I'm connected to it. There's much more exciting things to come so please stay tuned😘