12. Flower scent

AMELIA

"I must compliment your dancing skills, you have barely stepped on my feet," Prince Harry teases me with a grin.

"I must agree, my feet destroying skills are a bit rusty, I guess it depends on who am I dancing with." I grin back at him, absolutely enjoying dancing with him despite the fact I dislike the act usually, that being the reason I have declined a couple of lords who have asked me to dance tonight. The other reason is the worry that some of them would try to court me, it always happens on these events.

"Oh, be still my heart," he dramatically says, his dimples indenting his cheeks.

"You know, heaps of young unmarried ladies are waiting for a chance to dance with you tonight," I say matter of factly, noticing a few female pairs of narrowed eyes observing us intently.

"Let them wait," the Prince whispers as he leans his face closer to mine before suddenly twirling me around, my layered gown swaying as I inhale sharply in surprise, a quiet laugh leaving my mouth.

I collide with his hard chest as he pulls me back towards him, our faint smiles matching as we stare at each other, blocking out everyone and everything around us. This has to be our fifth dance by now, but neither of us seems to be tired. His hand settled on my waist keeps me basically pinned to him as we move, but I have no complaints, I am completely drawn to him.

"Excuse me, may I cut in?" The Queen interrupts with a tight smile. "I would like to have a word with Miss Evans."

The Prince and I stop dancing, my body immediately missing his warmth as he pulls away. "Of course. Thank you for your time, Lady Amelia." He takes my hand and kisses the top of it, taking a step back with a small smile.

Before I can say anything, Katherine appears behind him, whisking him away towards the dance floor. I shift my attention at the Queen, watching as she motions for me to follow her. "Is something wrong, your Majesty?" The question slips past my lips as I trail behind her, knowing there is obviously something wrong. I have a nagging feeling the Queen does not fancy me that much.

"How do you like it?" The Queen asks me as she stands beside me, eyes focused on Prince Harry and Princess Katherine. "Working here in the palace? Working for the Prince?" She shifts her blue eyes at me, holding a goblet filled with wine in her hand.

"I love it, it makes me feel productive and like I can really make a change, contribute to something good," I reply, watching the couple dance, Katherine leaning towards him to whisper something in his ear which makes the Prince blush and look away.

"Hmm, and what is your goal? Be honest with me, it is just the two of us. I am very good at estimating when someone is lying to me. You saw an easy victim in my son and he was too naive to see it, probably enchanted by your beauty. Marrying a royalty or at least seducing him would ensure you a good life, away from that god awful place where you lived," Queen Annemarie says with a calm voice and a fake smile on her face, taking a sip of the wine.

"So that is what you think?" I calmly ask as I look at her. "You even have an entire theory as to why am I working for your son, and nowhere did you mention the desire to make a change, to help the future King; someone who is going to rule the kingdom one day."

"This is about manipulation then? And with manipulation comes power, isn't it?" She narrows her eyes only a fraction, keeping her innocent tone of voice and expression.

I do not let my calm demeanour falter, a small smile appearing on my lips. "Is there a reason your opinion is so low of me, your Majesty? Have I done something worth despising? As a woman living in that god awful place as you have put it, I had to learn how to fight to survive. My job here is nothing but a mere survival method, something that provides money for me and my family. I have no bad intentions and I shall always do my job righteously and the best I can, especially since seeing a woman in this position is unheard of. I will make sure to prove my worth and to prove I can do this like any chauvinistic man could."