Chapter 14

comfort pillows aren't very comforting | 14

HARRIET SCREAMED LOUDLY into her channing tatum pillow. She screamed, and screamed, and then screamed some more because, why not? She was already catching feelings, why not catch a nice case of bronchitis too?

She was having the worst day. She had almost kissed Daniel twice in the last two days. Twice. She wanted to bang her head at the absolute absurdity of the fact that she almost kissed him. Kissed him! She screamed, frustrated at how she couldn't seem to explain her thoughts.

Now she was going to have to face him at the competiton with the knowledge that they could have potentially smooched.

She hadn't been this frustrated since Isaac's diagnosis. And that was saying something.

Turd burger, she mentally cursed, imagining his curly golden locks, and brown sky of freckles. Pointless fungal infection. You half chewed pencil. You useless white crayon. You're like a dead phone Daniel, a broken nail, a-

Harriet sighed dramatically and buried her face in her comfort pillow (even though it wasn't being very comforting). No matter what she said, she knew that no amount of word-killing Daniel Mormon would stop her giant, insatiable need to pull his face up to her and kiss him.

Did she just think that?

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

"You look troubled."

Harriet whipped her face towards Isaac, who had a confused look on his face.

Even though he was only thirteen, he still managed to act like an older brother.

"The world is troubling," she retorted, before continuing to stare out the window. The scenery wasn't very pleasant, though. The sky was an ugly,  moldy grey color, and the parking lot was empty except for a few lone cars.

Isaac snorted. "Everything is troubling to you. I'm just surprised because you look worried."

Harriet huffed. He said it like it was a bad thing that she was worrying!

"What's so surprising about me being worried?"

Isaac shrugged. "You never get hung up on things." His IV rose as he lifted his shoulders, making him look weak and wise at the same time.

His blatant remark hit her like a train going full speed on the track. She never got hung up on things.

So why was she now?

She frowned, turning back to gaze at the unlucky scenery. It described her mood perfectly.

It described her perfectly.

Unlucky Harriet. Always unlucky. The last straw out of the cup. The one who never found the gold pot at the end of the rainbow.

"I'm doing a lot of things I thought I'd never do," she sadly said, thinking about Daniel with a defeated sigh.

Isaac grinned, like it was no big deal that she was acting differently. "Maybe it's a sign for you to start being less lame."

Harriet whacked him on the arm. Before he could retaliate, a nurse came into the room, gently smiling at her and starting daily procedure. Harriet turned back to the window.

She might not be lucky, but if Isaac was getting better and Daniel wasn't tormenting her like always, then something was happening. Even if she didn't know how to explain it. Maybe she would ask Daniel tomorrow.

They had almost kissed.

Things were turning around, but Harriet just didn't know whether things were turning towards something horrible or towards something on the verge of exciting.