45

The freckled girl, Aun, approached them. "Matei, come with me. You're in terrible shape. And you, Mhera—you must come too."

Aun reached into her boot, producing a sharp little dagger. She smiled at Mhera with compassion, and thus she became the first person in Hanpe Mhera did not fear. She allowed Aun to cut away the ropes that bound her.

"Thank you," Mhera said.

"You're welcome. Matei, come. I do not know how you can walk."

Aun took Matei's arm and guided him toward the door. Again, the crowd parted, permitting the man who seemed to be their leader to pass freely. Mhera walked close behind, still carrying Matei's tunic. She ignored her aching feet and kept her expression calm, not looking at anyone as she went. She felt them all staring at her.

The infirmary in Hanpe was built the same way as the other buildings of the settlement, but it was larger than the cottages. Within were many plain cots, one of which was occupied by a sleeping old man. Between each pair of cots stood a small table. Shelves near the hearth were well-stocked with a wide array of jars, pots, bowls and basins. There were rolls of bandages and stacks of clean linen neatly arranged on the lower shelves. In one corner was a changing screen with a chair set behind it.

Aun directed Matei and Mhera to a cot, then went to the hearth to check on something simmering there over the fire.

Matei eased himself down to sit on the cot. The wounds on his back glistened in the light. Pity twisted Mhera's stomach. "How did you come all this way like this?" she asked him in an undertone.

"I had no choice," Matei said.

"Mhera, will you please go to that shelf and bring me two rolls of bandages?" Aun carried a small bowl of warm water, fragrant with herbs, and had a cloth draped over her shoulder. "There's also a salve we will want—the pot on the end with a blue flower painted on the lid."

Mhera moved immediately to obey. She found the items easily and brought them back to Matei's cot. The rebel now sat on the edge of it, slightly turned so that he could present his wounded back to Aun. She had dipped her cloth in the bowl of water and was gently sponging the wounds. Mhera stood a short distance from the cot, holding the things she had brought.

As Aun cleaned Matei's tortured back, Mhera watched his face. His expression was schooled to calm, but beads of sweat stood out on his forehead, and she could see his cheek twitch as he tightly clenched his jaw. She wondered how many times he had swallowed his exhaustion and his pain so he could keep moving forward. All for Hanpe; all to carry the news of danger to his people.

His determination was a fearsome thing. No normal man could have done it. Against everything she had felt for him thus far, she regretted his pain. Surprising herself, Mhera found that she admired him for his determination.

"There we are," said Aun, sounding displeased. "You have a fever, Matei. Had you not arrived when you did, you may not have survived."

"Ah, Mhera could have carried me," Matei said. He quirked a queasy grin at Mhera.

For the first time, Mhera smiled weakly back at him. "I don't think so. You aren't as dainty as you think," she said.

Aun laughed. She beckoned with her finger, and Mhera handed her the pot of salve. When Aun opened it, a soothing medicinal scent rose from the pot. Matei did not seem soothed as she began to smooth the ointment onto his back, however. He grimaced.

"Evil woman," he muttered, screwing his eyes shut.

"Yes, yes, I've heard it all before. Be quiet and let me work," Aun replied. "You're staying here tonight, Matei. I want to watch this one. Mhera, the bandages, please? You can help me, if you wish. Hold the end of it just there while I wrap it round."