Part 51

I awoke to the sun shining through to my face before I tiredly rubbed at my eyes, my stomach growling from lack of food.
I then looked over, seeing Daryl leaned up against the drivers side window as he smoked, a small smile pulling on my mouth at the sight of him.

He turned around as I pushed open the passenger side door, getting out, "Morning." He mumbled, the cigarette still in his mouth.

I chuckled, "Morning."

"How ya feelin'?"

"Better." I shrugged.

He nodded, taking another drag, "So, what do ya wanna do-"

"I want to go home," I cut him off, "..with you."

He nodded again, a small smile peeking through as he threw the cigarette to the ground, stepping it out before opening up the car door, "Then lets go."

***

The ride was comfortably silent as our hands stayed intertwined, sprinklings of rain landing on the windshield while we sped down the road.

"Yesterday-- when I asked you to teach me how to drive," I began, "Why wouldn't you?"

"I know ya, Liz," he murmured, eyes locked on the road, "Ya didn't want to learn for runs; I knew ya had something planned.. just didn't know ya'd go through with it so soon."

"What do you mean?"

He shrugged, "Though I'd have time to talk ya outta it later that night or somethin'."

"I'm sorry.." I sighed, "I do still want to learn though."

He shook his head, peering down to me as I held a small smile, "Yeah, I'm sure ya do."

***

As we pulled up to the gates of Alexandria, I began to feel nervous, almost feeling like I was a kid again, waiting to get punished for sneaking out or something.

"Who knows?" I asked quietly as the gate was pulled open.

"When I left, only Rick and Maggie knew." Daryl answered as he drove in.

As I looked back out the window, I immediately saw Rick making his way over to the car, "He's gonna kill me.." I breathed, emotion threatening my composure already.

"Hey," Daryl said, catching my attention as he squeezed my hand, "He ain't."

I nodded lightly, untangling our hands before pushing open the passenger side door and getting out; waiting for whatever scolding I had coming my way from the man who risked his life to save someone who just tried to leave a place that seemed like paradise.
But that's not what happened.
Immediately I was engulfed in Rick's arms as he hugged me tightly, his breathing heavy as he continued to hold me.

"You're ok-- oh, thank god you're ok." He breathed, my eyes immediately filling with tears of joy from this unexpected moment, "Where did you- why did you leave?" He questioned, slightly pulling away to look down at me.

I shook my head, "I couldn't lose anymore of you.."

Rick just studied my face, his eyes filled with a mixture of sadness and relief, before pulling me back into a hug, "Please just-- don't ever do something like that again."

I nodded, pulling away and wiping at my tears as Daryl came over to where we stood, "Hey, who all knows?" He asked lowly.

"Me, you, Maggie, and Carol," Rick said as he scanned the surrounding area, "Tried to keep everything quiet-- anyone who asked was told that you were both out gathering supplies."

"Good, let's just hope we can keep it that way." Daryl murmured, throwing his crossbow over his shoulder as we all started walking towards town.

Rick nodded, "Oh, and Liz, you might want to head to the infirmary first," he smiled, "I think there's someone there you might want to talk to."

***

I let out a steady breath before knocking on the door in front of me, waiting desperately for a response.

"Come in." The familiar voice said before I slowly pushed open the door, seeing Carl lying in a bed on the other side.

"Hey," I smiled, walking over and sitting in a chair beside him, "How're you feeling?"

He shrugged, "Denise says it was just a graze, but my eyes gone completely I guess."

I sighed, "I mean, at least you look cool."

A smile appeared on his face as he laughed, "Really? You like it?" He asked sarcastically.

"Oh yeah." I nodded, joking back with him.

He chuckled, "So did I miss anything that my dad hasn't told me about?"

"Yeah," I nodded slowly before looking back over to him, "I left yesterday-- like, I climbed the wall and-"

"I know," he stopped me, "Enid told me."

"She did?" I asked surprised.

He nodded, "But she told me not to tell anyone."

I let out a laugh, "Well I guess it doesn't matter anymore."

"So do you hate it here now or something?" He joked, obviously confused at my reasoning.

"No," I shook my head, "Not at all.. I love it here-- I love this place and I love everyone in it.. that's why I left." I explained, "That night, I don't know what you remember, but we lost so many people and I was afraid that if I stayed any longer.. I'd just have to watch it continue to happen." I sighed, "I didn't know if I could handle that and I honestly still don't.. I don't know what I would've done if I lost you, too."

Carl sighed, "We don't get to leave just because something bad happens, because then nothing good can come from it." He explained, "You're family now, Liz, you'll never be able to get rid of us no matter how hard you try."

"You're right," I chuckled, a smile returning to my face, "I know that now."

_____
I just love sweet moments

Let me know your thoughts!