41

Practice ended with my side winning. Harry dismissed us after informing us about the upcoming games. I quickly change, trying get out of here, so I can go talk to Zayn. Of course, I didn't even get to make it outside before Harry started calling for me. Even though I kept my pace and exited the gym, he caught up to me.

"Hey Rylee stop." I breathes out, holding on to my shoulder and I back away, stopping to look at him.

"What is it, Harry?" I snap.

"I want to apologize for earlier." he says, looking down at me. "I lost my temper because I'm just afraid of losing everything from this."

"Well, you should be glad that there's no this because I'm just this delusional little girl who loves a man who will never love her back."

"Please, can we just go back to my motel and talk this through."

"There's nothing to talk about. I'm moving and you don't have to worry about me ruining you're life anymore. That's that."

I try walking off, but he grabs my arm. He quickly pulls away when a car honks.

"Ry-"

"No, you know what?" I interrupt. "To make it easier, I'll just quit and I'll only have to see you once a day. Maybe I'll just skip your class until it's finally time for me to leave because I can't take this anymore."

"Quit?"

"Yes Harry," I spit, digging through my gym bag. "I'm quitting volleyball." I say, throwing my volleyball shirt at him. "I mean, I might as well because I hadn't gotten to play in the longest time. You'd think messing around with the coach would get me out on the court more, but I've been benched most of this season. I don't even think I was ever captain. Monique has taken over that job because you don't let me do shit."

The car horn honks again and I glance back to see Zayn sitting there.

"You can't just quit." he says, trying to hand my shirt back.

I back away, walking off. "Well I just did."

-

"Maybe leaving will be good for you." Zayn shrugs pulling up to my house. "After everything that's happened,"

"That's surprising." I laugh out. "I thought you'd be the one to beg me to stay."

"What I want is for you to be happy and not this girl. You've changed since-"

"You cheated on me." I finish his sentence. "Yeah, does a lot to a girl." I sigh.

He coughs softly, shifting in his seat to get a better look at me. "I'll try to come visit you in California."

"You'd travel across the country just to see me?"

"Of course," he smiles widely then he becomes quiet for a few moments. "Rylee-" he calls for me and I look up at him with curiosity. "I-I still love you."

We stare into each other's eyes for a long while until I feel the movement of leaning in with him. Our lips brush and he presses his lips firmly onto mine. I frown not feeling that spark in my stomach. It wasn't the feeling I felt with Harry. I pull away, shaking my head and shyly looking down.

"What? What is it?" he asks. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No, it's not you– I mean it is, but-" I pause, inhaling deeply. "Zayn, I don't think we can ever go back." I tell him honestly. "I do care about you and love you, but I can only trust you to be a friend right now."

He nods, shifting to look forward. "I understand," he says lowly. "I guess I should've expected this. I know you moved on and I should too."

"I would still love those visits from you."