chapter 32

❝#349 in fanfiction, my heart is too overwhelmed ♡ thank you for the support. here's a short update, since I know the last chapter was such a cliffhanger and some of you wanted to throw me off a cliff :) :) please make sure you've read chapter 31 before proceeding.❞
— ✿ —

"Aeri is missing."

I gave them a dead, solemn look as I tried to register the words in my head. But no matter how I dug through the point, it didn't make any sense. There had to be some joke here.

"Missing?" I asked out loud, doubting myself of what I had heard.

Only silence answered me.

"What do you mean she's missing?" I practically screamed, liquid flowing on my cheeks. "Someone tell me what the hell happened!"

That was when Somi-ajumma burst in tears again. "I'm sorry, Kyungmin-ah. He said he's a doctor, he was wearing a hospital gown— I thought— I didn't know," she struggled to explain between sobs.

"Mrs. Kim, the culprit had been seen on CCTV, the police unit was already dispatched and is currenly chasing them," I barely heard the officer as my gaze was fixated on Somi.

My hand balled into a fist. No, this wasn't her fault. I knew Somi well enough that she wouldn't put Aeri in danger on purpose. If there was anyone to blame, that would be me.

This is all my fault.

If only I hadn't been so stubborn and stayed here instead of convincing Taehyung to let me go with them to the court hearing.

I wanted to stab myself, I shouldn't have gone to the court hearing.

This is all my fault. This is all my fault.

If I had just stayed beside Aeri, none of this would have happened. How could I be stupid enough to leave Aeri?

I once ridiculed Chuwon for putting Aeri's custody first before actually considering his daughter's state, while there was me who just did the same right now.

You're so selfish, Kyungmin.

"Please make sure Aeri's safe," I pleaded just above a whisper to no one in particular, desperation lingering on every word.

She has to be safe. I won't forgive myself if she gets harmed.

Taehyung held my hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Taehyung, I don't know what's going to happen if she isn't— I won't forgive myself."

More security staff went past us, there was the sound of walkie-talkies everywhere. There was even a patient rushed to the ER. All that was keeping me sane at this moment was Taehyung and the thought that I had to see Aeri.

I have to stay strong for her.

A ringtone blasted, catching everyone's attention, all trying to figure whose phone it belonged to. It happened to be the officer's, and when he picked up, all eyes and ears were on him. He kept nodding, replying with words that couldn't even hint the slightest information.

So when he hung up, we all waited for an update; Me, being the most distressed.

"They had to use violence," began the officer. "Chuwon got shot."

"He got shot?" chirped Namjoon, shocked.

"What about Aeri?" I broke in.

There was a hint of hesitation in the officer's eyes. Taehyung had probably noticed it too by the way his grip tightened.

"Please just tell me," I cried, my legs losing its strength. I was bound to shatter any time now. In fact, it surprised me how I still hadn't up to this moment.

"They're rushing her to the nearest hospital."