chapter 33

Kyungmin's heart was filled with regrets. She had come to a conclusion that all that she had gone through could perhaps be a punishment vested upon her.

But what for?

Although, it seemed farfetched to believe that she might have done something grave in her past life and she was currently paying for whatever sins she had committed.

Nevertheless, Kyungmin accepted this punishment bestowed upon her.

Did she have no right to be happy?

Kyungmin assumed the answer that she did not. She was ready to embrace it; She was willing to give that happiness up.

Just bring Aeri back, she repeatedly begged in her mind. Just bring Aeri back to the way she was before.

Before Kyungmin could lash out her anger and resentment, Chuwon had already taken his own life.

She had so much to ask of him—Why he had to make the situation more difficult for them; What could have possibly went inside Chuwon's sick mind to take Aeri like that?

Since then, Kyungmin had not left Aeri. The farthest would be the small comfort room inside Aeri's hospital room. Other than that, she sat beside Aeri's bed, and practically did everything there.

The incident made Aeri's health deteriorate. Infants could sense their surroundings. Stress had caused delay with Aeri's recovery and rooted a little complication. Some days, Aeri would be awake for an hour, or two. Then that was it.

To Kyungmin, it was her emotional health and mental state. Even her own doctor worried about her—they all did. But Kyungmin would always tell them she was fine... and everyone knew it was a lie.

Despite Kyungmin talking a lot over anything out of the blue, everyone could see through her passiveness. She would tell you how the sun shone bright, how flying kites suited the weather, or how funny the scene playing on the TV was. But even before she would, her mind had already traveled somewhere far away. To a place only Kyungmin knew of.

Taehyung had skipped some days off from work just for her. Everyone gave their time just to be with Aeri, but more so, for Kyungmin.

Not even the sun himself in the human form of Hoseok managed to crack a genuine smile of happiness on her lips. Jimin wished he could help her, but he clearly knew that only Aeri could change her state.

Even Jungkook wanted to do something for her noona; it bummed him that he could not even make up just even a little for Kyungmin's kindness, especially now that she was in pain.

Kyungmin stirred from her seat when Taehyung wrapped a blanket around her. He sighed, remembering how he had told her to at least sleep on the sofa and not just rest her head on top of Aeri's bed.

Taehyung grabbed a chair and situated it near Kyungmin. He sat down whilst Kyungmin slowly straightened up, securing the blanket around her.

"What time is it?" asked Kyungmin with a cracked voice, she could feel a desert in her throat as she gulped.

"Half past nine," answered Taehyung, lips twitching upwards.

Kyungmin rested her chin on her palms, keeping her gaze on Aeri, watching her pale body sleeping. Every time she did, she yearned for that soft smile or chuckle Aeri always did in her sweet slumber.

But just as she waited every time, she always got disappointed.

"If Aeri leaves me, what else is there left for me? She came, gave a new meaning to my life, but—" Kyungmin couldn't continue, like the words bit back on their own. Perhaps she was too afraid that they might come true.

Taehyung dragged his chair closer to Kyungmin and reached for her face. He tucked the loose strands behind her ears and gently played with Kyungmin's hair, caressing it also as a way for him to comfort her.

Kyungmin glanced at him sideways, her eyes blanked from any emotions.

"I miss her so much, Taehyung."

Taehyung took Kyungmin's hands away from her cheeks, making her turn her body to him. He placed their now clasped hands on his lap and fixated his attention on them.

"I might not be the reason for your new found light, but whatever happens, no matter how many times you lose it, I'll be here to help you get it back," said Taehyung, and huffed making Kyungmin blink her eyes wide. "Also, don't forget about me. I'm still here. And if I need to remind you every minute, then I will."

Kyungmin was caught by surprise, her mouth went dry, feeling a little guilty that she just threw Taehyung out of the picture. She was aware that she needed to stop only thinking of herself and Aeri at times like this. But it kept slipping away from her mind. Not that she had control over it.

Come to think of it, there were also other people who had been with her along the way.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way," she explained and hung her head low.

Kyungmin wanted to go on with her words, but only a sigh had left her mouth.

Taehyung let go of her hands and cupped both sides of Kyungmin's face to lift her head up. His solemn eyes met Kyungmin's which held longing and desperation.

"But we'll hope for the best," said Taehyung, piercing straight through her soul with his gaze. "Our little angel will make it through this. Have faith in Aeri."

And so Kyungmin did. She nodded her head as Taehyung pulled her into a soothing, affectionate hug. Both of them holding onto every piece of hope that Aeri would be okay. If it took a miracle just for Aeri to get well, then a miracle was what she'd be wishing for.

Perhaps, it took more than a miracle for her wish to come true.