Chapter Thirteen

Jennifer's P.O.V

The whole place is noisy, I could barely hear them speak. Paige gets closer to the man at the gate. She whispers something to him, which he looks us over and within a single minute, we were in there.

We sit behind and Paige's brother approaches us, smiling.

"Hey girls, it took you long enough to get here. I almost thought you stood me up," he joked while Kinna pinching Paige.

"Naaaa, we are here aren't we? Come on bring us something to drink."

"And who do we have here? Another Claves?"

"Erm, used to be. She's now Mrs Johnson," Eunice proudly announces.

"Too bad. And where is your ring?"

"You can't seriously be asking this. You want her to scare every guy here. Oh come on," Eunice rolls her eyes.

Eunice says while we laugh. Paige's brother is fun to be with. The only thing is, he asks too many questions. I barely hear him over the noise and so I answer those I hear.

"I heard you dance better than those I've hired. Do you mind dancing tonight? I will let the DJ put a nice song for you."

"I intend to. Don't worry, I will catch the crowd myself," I bragged, already feeling the beat.

Paige stares at me.

"Does her husband know she's this wild? I have known her for less than three hours and..."

"I always say she's a wolf in a sheep disguise...just kidding. She does this once a while. But she's always on track. Let's just say she's one of the bad-good nerds."

I smile at them. They thought I couldn't hear them and so I let them believe that.

"Tequila will do. I want Casa Noble. What about you Jennifer?"

"I don't drink."

Paige quickly looks at me. She smiles at me and whispers something to Eunice.

"You have to enjoy today. You wouldn't know when you are going to die...just this once."

"OK fine, I want something nice."

"Wow, that was quick."

In less than a minute, Chris; Paige's brother brings us our drinks. He sits beside us. I look over at them and they are already done with their drinks. I am the last to drink mine. I was taking it sip by sip.

It tasted nice.

"What drink is this?"

"Cherry Vodka; Smirnoff."

"Oh really? It's nice. You took tequila. I want some. Do me the favor Chris."

"Sure," he says as he goes to the attender.

"Are you sure you will be OK? You don't drink, I'm scared you'll..."

"Don't worry. I'm fine and I'll be fine. Oh here comes Chris."

"This is Fortaleza. Go ahead, I'm sure you'll squeeze your beautiful face."

I drink it and it was like I just took in apple drink.

"Hey, are you sure you are fine? Look, you just finished all the lime. Doesn't it taste sour?"

"No, I think this is different from the normal lime. Where was it plucked?"

They all laugh as I keep moving my waist to the rhythm of the song, "Love in the club." I was intensely watching everyone dance.

I grab another drink. If I had known they tasted this nice, I wouldn't have declined each time I was offered one.

It only tasted good today. The last time I tried, I remember it wasn't as nice as this.

The place becomes louder and all I want to do is dance.

"Ready to move to the dance floor?"

"Oh yeah!"

"No, I'll watch you two. I don't want to dance. I can't dance," Paige shyly shouts over the voice.

"What? There's no way I'm gonna allow that. Come on Paige, the place is dark and not everybody is gonna watch you dance. Regardless of how you feel, the majority of us in here won't notice how you're dancing...stop it and let's have some fun," I say while pulling her.

I have to shout for her to hear me and I succeed in convincing her, I'm pretty good at that.

We find a spot on the dance floor while I start to bobble my head to the beat, moving from side to side.

Swaying my hips back and forth, the song changes to "Don't stop the music."

Wow, my favourite. It's been long since I heard that.

As I dance, Chris whispers something to Eunice who did same into Paige's ears. Chris has his few friend around who circle around me.

As I dance, most people join to watch.

I smile, entertaining them. Thank God my husband isn't here.

That is all I could think of.

Then the song changes to "Smack that."

I am really having fun.

Then suddenly, I feel dizzy. Then everything went blank.

Oh, not again.

******

I wake up feeling the comfort of a bed. It is soft.

Where am I?

That is the first thing I comes into mind.

"Are you asking where you are?" An angry voice shouts.

Oh no, Daniel! I quickly open my eyes. I'm in my room. Then everything begins to register in my head.

He grabs my arm and shouts, "I was worried about you while I was supposed to work. I was distracted while you were enjoying. You were dancing while I warned you not to dance ever again when you go out."

He pushes me away. For a moment I was scared he'll hurt me.

He moves to the balcony. He drops the floor vase which made my heart sink.

I am hoping the floor swallows me. His anger terrifies me. He charges toward me and before I could think, I quickly scream, "Don't hurt me, I could be pregnant. It's not yet confirmed but I could be."

He stops and his breathing becomes faster. This man is a beast. I thought I had met all his faces but this is equally nothing to what I have seen.

"What?" He whispers. Before I can speak, his fist lands on the wall, making me jump almost out of bed.

"You knew you were pregnant and yet you went there? Answer me!"

"I said I could be. Could be is one thing and actually is, is another thing altogether..."

"You knew you could be. So you knew and you still drank too much. Do you know the risk?"

I forgot. I wanted to say but fear cribs me. If I tell him I forgot, I will make things worse.

"I'm sorry," that is all I could say before he leaves the room.

*****

"He'll never forgive me for this. If it turns positive, he'll surely kill me."

"Don't be silly." There was silence before she speaks again.

" I almost thought he'll kill me also," Eunice finally let out. A laughter she was hiding, rush out also.

"He left. He didn't want to hurt me so he left. I hope he cools down before he returns or else..."

"Don't worry, I'll attend your funeral," Eunice jokes before becoming serious.

"Elvis and I decided to stay over, in case it got worse. Oh God when he saw us..."

"Please tell me. What happened after I fainted."

****

What will happen next? Wasn't he overreacting? Or he has every right to get really mad.