Chapter 31

The smell of bleach is overwhelming. I scrunch my eyes at the bright light that is sipping through my closed eyelids. I feel powerless and heavy. I can't move my hand, my head or my body.

I slowly start to blink, desperately trying to open my eyes and see what's around me.

Where am I?

As the blinding light slowly subsided, I take a look around my surroundings. I'm at the hospital.

The room is clean. Very clean. Your typical hospital bed, IV and monitors beeping. The walls are a sickly green color and the linens are white. The place looks nothing like a room where a patient should be motivated to get better. If anything, it was making me even more nauseous.

I can't remember how I got here but I knew for sure that I wanted out, as soon as possible.

Preferably right now.

I pull on the IV line and I feel a sharp pain. That's when someone enters the room.

She looks the same.

Nothing on her has changed except for her face. Her beautiful happy face is replaced with a sad one.

It looks like she hadn't slept for weeks.

It looks like her heart has been ripped out.

Suddenly there is an aura of grey around her. It's a mist that wouldn't rise. A state of depression that I can't see through.

I start to feel a terrible weight on my shoulders. It's as if a giant boulder is laid on me and I can't straighten up or catch my breath entirely.

How could I have done this to her?

A single tear starts to roll down her cheek.

I should be crying too, but I'm too numb to even think about crying right now.

There is a giant hole in my heart and I know that nothing would ever be the same.

I must look like death right now but she didn't look like she cared.

Her eyes started to get puffy from all the crying. She looks dehydrated and sore. Tears start to trail down my cheeks. No one should be able to cry that hard. I haven't even cried that hard when my dad died when I was younger.

She says, "I love you." first.

Before I could.

And it wasn't fair.

It just didn't feel too right.

She runs towards my bed and cries, "My baby, my poor baby, I love you, I'm so sorry."

I ask myself again.

How could I have done this to her?

***

"Mom," I asked.

"Yes?"

"What happened?"

The expression on her face tells me that it's bad.

"Please, tell me." I beg her.

She takes a deep breath and sighs. She then looks at me and smoothes my hair. "Okay."

"Y-You w-were involved in a car accident f-four days ago. T-The other guy d-did not make it and d-died on impact." She stutters out. She then swallows and beads of sweat start to run down her forehead.

Something is still wrong.

"What else aren't you telling me, mom?"

"Baby, you need some rest. I can--"

"Please, mom. Tell me." I beg her.

She looks at me for a long time before she tells me.

"Ava, you lost your left leg."

I freeze when I hear her words. I then fall into pieces and I start sobbing.

She grabs me and hugs me ignoring the IV lines.

The tears burst forth like water from a dam, spilling down my face. I feel the muscles of my chin tremble like a small child and I look toward the window as if the light could soothe me. I hear my own sounds, like a distressed child, raw from the inside. Then all of a sudden all I could feel was anger.

I could feel anger.

So much anger.

My subconscious starts to blame the stupid guy who caused the crash.

It's his fault.

"I-It's his f-fault! I-It's his fault!" I yell and cry.

"N-No baby no. It wasn't his fault. It wasn't even your fault. It was an accident." She said trying to calm me. But I kept on crying, letting all the tears go.

"The guy suffered from diabetes and his glucose level went low while on the wheel and lost consciousness. He was wearing a seatbelt and everything but I guess he leaned forward on the steering wheel as he lost consciousness. The doctor told me that the steering broke and the rod entered his chest while you two collided." She tells me while smoothing my hair.

"P-Poor g-guy." I sniffle as I considered myself lucky still to be alive.

"Y-yeah." She says, kissing me on the forehead.

"Your leg is only gone from your knee down. But don't worry, everything will be okay." He says calming me.

"M-Mom I'm s-sorry," I say, breaking down again.

"Baby it's not your fault. I'm just glad your back. I've missed you." She whispers.

"I-I've missed you t-too mom. S-so m-much."