⋆ increasing story tension

OKAY TODAY WE'LL BE TALKING ABOUT...

STORY TENSION

STORY TENSION IS THE CORE OF AN INTERESTING PLOT AND WILL ALLOW YOUR READERS TO PAY ATTENTION THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE BOOK!

some of it is obvious but why not repeat it
i forget some so yaY

TENSION: the anticipation of what will happen next in the story.

basically how you'll make your readers want and beg for more chapters

which is what authors want

obvi

HOW TO INCREASE STORY TENSION

don't let your characters have what they want. there should never be a moment before the very end of your story where your characters are without tension. tension is conflict and conflict is your plot. if everything is happy-cheery, even for a little while, your readers will grow bored!

ask how you can make your character's situation worse. keep at least one ongoing tension present in your character's minds at all times to keep your plot fresh and thrilling.

build flaws and conflict into your setting/story world. no human being is perfect and conflict is interesting!

create conflict between your characters. it depends if it's the antagonist or the sidekick but let your character screw up. for example, give one a secret or create opposing motivations.

increase the consequences of failure for the hero. have your character a low point in his/her life so they can build the courage to overcome it and be able to learn from the experience.

hope this was helpful lolol :-)