Chapter 23 - Memorial Hill

He picked it up faster than I thought, we spent an hour in that cell, going over and over what he needs to do. The first part was hard but he took dislocating his thumb like a champion, I showed him how to reset it and we went again. I couldn't be in there for any longer without arousing suspicion. I took the cuffs but told Keith to keep dislocating and setting until it just slides right out of position with the push. I'm sure there were other ways to do it but this was the fastest way I knew how. You didn't need any tools doing it this way so there would be no unnecessary questions.
I left the cells with Keith still bloody and bruised, turning to the wolves guarding it,
"Jeremy isn't to go in there anymore I don't want him dying before it's necessary" they nod at the command.
Exiting the cellar I walk back to the pack house, Tala was walking out of it.
"Lily, come with me" she called, I followed without questioning, she was my mentor she chose me to be the next leader of the defence line and I would show that I had earned that spot.
We were walking towards memorial hill, Alexis and Jeremy were there with a bunch of the young pups who were old enough to fight. Jeremy stopped his tirade when he witness us approaching, returning to stand beside Alexis. The young pups looked at us most were afraid but there were a few who relished the thought of fighting, you could see the anger in their eyes. When they saw me they stood up straighter, their eyes not leaving mine, I started fighting at their age but there was no war to fight back then a lot of these pups will probably die in the war if we don't prepare them for what's to come.
"Goodmorning pups" Tala greeted standing in front of them with me on her right.
"Do you know why you are here?" A boy stuck his hand in the air, and she nodded towards him,
"Jeremy told us we had to make a choice" he stated
"Correct, you get to decided from this moment on what wolf you will be, there is a war coming and it looks like there is no stopping it we need fighters, warriors to help defeat those who stand against us" she spoke
"Warriors like Lily?" The boy questioned,
"Yes warriors like Lily and like the many other wolves who have been training all their lives for a time like this. Lily" she turned to face me "these young ones seem to think highly of you as a warrior perhaps you would like to answer their questions" I give a stiff nod and she stands aside.
A girl raised her hand, I look at her and give her permission
"How did you become as good as you are? You are to become the next defence line commander once Holden takes his place as Alpha how did you get to be chosen?" They all watched me intently,
"I earned it, I didn't get special privileges because my family is highly ranked. I made the decision at your age to become a warrior and join the defence line, just like my friend Alexis" I pointed to her and they all looked, " we made this decision because we wanted to protect our pack, our brothers and sisters from any threats we may encounter. We felt our calling, and we trained and worked hard to get where we are today. My hard work paid off when Tala chose to mentor me to take over"
Another hand shot in the air and I nod for them to ask,
"How come Jeremy gets to join now when he wasn't before?" I looked over at Jeremy
"We took a tremendous blow when the hunters attacked the pack house. Many of us died in that fight, we don't always receive our calling from such a young age but after that Jeremy felt his calling to join us, to help us in this war to protect those who need protection and defend this family" they all looked at him and he stared at them, nodding his head.
The forest was silent, nothing but bugs were heard over our voices. It was beautiful, no place I'd rather be it was my home.
"They say that you were the first to be attacked by the hunters and that a lesser wolf probably would have died and that you survived a Vulnus punishment and you went after your sister after she was taken by the hunters and got her back. They're saying that there has never been a wolf like you that you're inextinguishable, they're calling you the Infinite White" they all looked at me admiringly I did not like what I was hearing no wolf is above death especially me.
"Do not listen to rumours, all those happened to me but I am not invincible, I bleed therefore I can die, I am strong and so is my wolf we are one in the same and together we were able to over come incredible odds ones that maybe others wouldn't have survived but that makes me no better than the brothers and sisters I fight beside. I am no hero, no saviour of the wolf kind, I am a warrior who did what she needed to survive. I will live and die by my brethren because that is who I am who We as a pack are. So you need to decide if you want to be a warrior and defend us or if your calling is something else no one will turn against you if you do. You are your own wolf and I'm not going to stand here and tell you what you need to do, we make our own way in this world but if your wolf is calling you to fight then be at the training shed in half and hour if not you will be assigned something else to help us. I will not force anyone into something they are not comfortable in doing I will not send you off to war without your permission. Many will die on both sides and i cannot promise you will all survive but there is no greater honour than to die protecting our pack, defending our family and living by our code." I believed I was finished, we stood in silence listening to the forest around us. Nothing but bugs, birds and heartbeats to fill the silent air surrounding us. It was a lot for them to take in but I could see fire in their eyes now, I fire I had lit and I felt proud of myself for it but also scared for them, they were so young.
"Like Lily said, those of you who's paths lead you to the Training Shed be there in half an hour your training begins then. Thankyou Alexis and Jeremy. I will need you both at the shed as well. Lily" she stepped closer to me and leaned in touching her forehead to mine. "I'm proud of you" she whispered before turning and leaving. My insides filled with warmth, it was all I wanted after the Vulnus to earn Tala's trust again.

Back at the pack house I managed to scrounge up some food once I realised I was starving. I heard footsteps and I looked up to see Cooper and Kyle walk around the corner.
"You were up early" Cooper stated,
"You keeping tabs on me now?" I ask looking up from the toast I was buttering.
"No I saw you head into the woods while I was returning from patrol" he raised an eyebrow at me,
"By the way when is it your turn for patrol?" he pouted.
"The night before the meeting" I spoke, using the spatula to pick up the eggs from the pan and put them on my toast.
"It's not like I've been doing nothing" I snap,
"I know" he spoke a bit taken back. While my eyes were on Cooper, Kyle reached behind me and grab some bacon from the pan.
"Put it down if you want to keep your arm" I warned,
"You like me too much for that" he grinned shoving bacon into his mouth. A growl came from the door way and I looked to see Holden standing there, glaring at Kyle, who didn't step away.
"Easy boy" I called to him, flashing him a smile, he turned to me and smiled. He walked around the kitchen island and planted a kiss on my cheek. We haven't really discussed what we are or if we're back on and if we are things need to be done to bond us together again.
What do you want us to be? He asked sending the question to me. I almost jumped I was thinking absentmindedly I didn't expect him to be listening.
There's a lot going on right now, if we survive this lets rediscuss, I know it's sooner then we said but I feel it needs to happen sooner. He frowned at me he didn't like how i put it but it was true neither of us knew if we were going to survive this war and I didn't want us to bond again and then to have one of us ripped away.
But we would be stronger on the battlefield he was right, a fully mated and bonded pair are stronger, they heal quicker, their senses are heightened.
Just let me think about it ok? I asked. He nodded in response and walked out.
"Holden" I called after him knowing he was upset, the other two just stood there staring at us. I put my knife down and ran after him. I finally catch up to him in the hallway and spin him around. I grab his face in my hands and force him to look at me.
"I love you, I always have but you know as well as I that this might not go the way we want it too and if something does happen to me I don't want you being attached a fresh bond it will take you so much longer to get over it" he crushed his lips to mine for a few seconds before pulling away.
"Bond or not if anything happened you I would not get over it. I love you Lily and I want to know that we took that chance together to be stronger, better, to know I had you in every way and you had me and that nothing not even death could break that" She purred inside of me, I felt the link between us, it tightened as our arousal grew and I wanted nothing more than to give myself to him completely to be marked and bonded just like fate intended.
"I have to train the pups in ten minutes" I told him.
"Ok, come find me after" I nod, planting another kiss on him and lingering a second or two longer than I should have. Before walking away, I could feel his stare as I exited the front door.