Chapter 31

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

1) Could someone please help me find out how to get bold, italic and "author's note" text on Wattpad on Android?

2) I hope you guys are enjoying the story. Please remember to like and comment on the chapters.

3) Things are about the get a little bit weird now.

HUSNA'S POV

The date was set. Nabeel didn't want to rush me because I had just gotten into study mode at university, and I was grateful for that. We decided on December 14th as all the family would be down during the holiday season, and we could have a huge functions. Nabeel and I grimaced at the thought of that, but had to succumb to our parents' demands. We made a note to speak to them about making it just a tad bit simpler.

Although it was only March, my mother wanted to have an official engagement so that people would know about our upcoming union.

So, on the 30th of March, at the beginning of the holiday, we had an engagement party at a fancy, exotic resort with sparkling swimming pools, large areas for a golf course, divine cuisine and intricate architecture. A few of our close relatives from both sides would be staying at the resort for a week, and the evening of the 30th was the ceremony.

The ceremony was lovely. My family put up a huge tent that seated around 250 people and decorated the outside with fairy lights, lanterns and expensive beaded draping. Inside, the round tables had white tablecloths with lilac overlays and a breathtaking centrepiece. The centrepiece was a dummy cake that you could cut, and each layer had a different stage of married life. The top level had a bride and groom figurine, right till the bottom where you could find a grandmother and grandfather with their grandchildren in the cake slice. Even I had to applaud them on that idea. Being a resort party and Braai, we had a children's entertainment tent with games, clowns and party bags, and for the teenagers we had a lantern release.

The guests arrived and we began the festivities. The men brought the Braai meat into the female's tent, and then sat outside around the bonfire. There was cheering, jokes and embarrassing "bride to be" moments, and although I wished that the ceremony was less extravagant, I knew that Nabeel had a little desire for this, so I let it be. Imagine the number of Syrian children we could have fed with this amount of food! There were tables for starters, Braai, dessert and baking, and on top of that we had private chefs making personalised drinks and party items. There was a Skittles, MnM, Smarties, jellytots and Astros dispenser, along with the items alone on another table.

The night soon drew to a close, and everyone was exhausted. Nabeel went to his room, alone, because the boys had already spent their evening as a unit and were giving him some space, and all my bachelorette friends came to mine. We talked, laughed and shared our final moments together (with me), but Maariah was nowhere to be found. I knew that she loved hookah, and since the men had brought some, she must have went to smoke a little. I didn't worry too much. We were on good terms.