Chapter One: The Men's Restroom

A/N: Thank you to the people who voted and left comments! You all inspire me to write!!

Once upon a time, I joined track. It was in middle school, and I thought maybe if I excelled in a sport I could get some college grants by high school. I never had hand- eye coordination, but running was one of those sports where you just go, so I thought I would be fine. I was sadly mistaken. I ended up having the lowest ranking of all the runners, and the coach only put me in one category.

In a nutshell, I epically failed at running, which made chasing after Lucas quite difficult, to say the least.

He was a hallway’s length ahead of me, sneakers squeaking against the snow-slush coated floor that made me slip around like I was trying to ice skate. He boldly leapt down flights of stairs, scurried around corners, and swerved through the hallways, all the while laughing like a lunatic and holding my tote bag in the air. I tried my best to keep up with him, chest heaving and hair getting caught in my lip gloss.
As I rounded another corner, though, I watched him disappear into a room off the right. I jogged up and stopped in front of the door.

No.

No way.

Seriously?

Lucas pulled the cheapest trick in the bag, the kick in the gut, the total cheat; he was hiding the men’s restroom.

I mean, come on, that’s just not fair!

“Lucas!” I screamed, banging my fist against the door “This isn’t funny! I have a freaking violin lesson to get to, give me my bag back!”

“Come and get it,” he laughed. I gave a frustrated sigh, and he must have heard it because he said “Or are you too goodie-goodie to come in the boy’s room?”

I didn’t bother to respond to that, so I ended up sitting in front of the bathroom for a total of twenty minutes, all the while listening the Lucas try to persuade me to “stop being such a girl.”

At last, he sauntered out, but one vital thing was missing.

“Where the hell is my bag?” I growled. He raised an eyebrow and smirked.

“Oh my, someone has a mouth,” he snickered.

“Shut up, go get my freaking bag,” I replied. Lucas chuckled and began to wander down the hall, away from the restrooms. I charged after him.

“Look, what can I do that will make you give my bag back?” I asked. Lucas smirked and I was surprised no lightening flashed behind him. This, my friends, is why we don’t make deals with the devil.

There we stood in the middle of the gym, basketballs in our hands, facing back to back.

“Whoever gets to twenty first wins,” he said. I swallowed hard and tapped my French tips against the dust-coated ball. This was not going to be fun.