Chapter Thirty

-------------------

Dedication: Celliem for being the first person to vote and comment on the last update! Thank you!

Recap:

I waded after him, letting the waves carry me back to shore. I watched his tanned, well-built body emerge from the water, droplets running down his skin. I stared down at my feet.

I felt like crying. He had shown me how great we could be. How much fun we could have together.

And I'm going to ruin it because I have to tell him.

When I do, I know he will want nothing to do with me.

--------------------

"What the hell are you wearing?"

"What?" Harvey asks, glancing down at his black track pants and black hoodie. "Too much?"

"You're breaking into a locker, not a bank," I laugh, rolling my eyes. "Points for trying to be stealth though."

"I did try," he huffs.

"Might be less obvious if you actually wore school uniform?" I suggest, quirking my eyebrow. "So if anyone sees you, you can say you were looking for me or something. Otherwise, they're going to think there's an intruder in the school."

"Ah," he agrees with a nod. "I didn't think of that."

"Which is why I'm the brains of this operation."

"And I'm the muscle," Harvey grins whilst tensing his biceps.

"In your dreams." I laugh, shaking my head. I glance down at my watch, realising that I'm going to be late to practise. "Crap, I gotta' go. Hang back until you hear splashing, then you can go."

"Yes sir," he remarks sarcastically.

I roll my eyes at him as I playfully shove his shoulder. I briskly walk from him and make my way to the gym.

"Late, as usual, Miss Connaway," Coach Brennon sighs as I stride into the room, where everyone is already lined up and dressed.

"Sorry, missed my flight," I sarcastically remark, walking past my team and out to the back change rooms.

I hastily slide my swimsuit over my body and grab my swim cap and goggles, before joining everyone in line.

"Ready?" he asks flatly, clearly annoyed having to wait for me.

"Yes sir."

"Good," he clips, his tone snappy before he jots something down on his clipboard. "We will work on laps today but this afternoon, we're doing a gym work out. I want you guys to keep working on those arm and leg muscles. They almost had us in the relay. I don't want a repeat, alright?"

There is a murmur throughout the group.

"Good, now get swimming."

As everyone began to trail out of the room, Hayden hung back, awarding me with his gorgeous, dimpled smile.

"Good morning," he greets.

My stomach clenches as the odd sensation of butterflies stirring in my stomach. We had such an amazing day yesterday. But when I think back to it, I get an overwhelming sensation of guilt. I could hardly sleep last night at the thought of having to tell him what I've done.

"Good morning," I reply with a smile. "How was the rest of your night?"

"Fine, yours?"

"Fine."