★ Chapter 8: Good Morning ★

He tried to move but he couldn't.

He felt the tight grip of those dirty hands on his shoulders.

He called for help.

But nobody came...

They memory replayed over and over inside his head just like a broken CD.

He looked to his side.

There stood Grillby, just staring with a grin that sent shivers down the spine of anyone who saw it.

"You let yourself get into this." The bartender whispered, an ice cold tone in his voice that felt...

...As sharp as a needle.

-•ღ•-

Sans gasped for air as his body quickly shot up, waking up him from the nightmare.

Tiny crystal like drops of sweat bathed his forehead.

The skeleton looked to his right, still breathing heavily as if he'd just ran marathon.

There lied Grillby peacefully, his eyes shut as in indication the bartender was probably sound asleep.

Sans lightly blushed and sighed with relief, leaning back his tired body on the bed frame.

"...Sans?" Grillby mumbled with concern, waking up and taking his glasses off the counter and causing Sans to slightly jump at the surprise.

"You okay?" He asked, clearly aware Sans was never the one to wake up early.

"yeah... i just nearly fell out the bed and jerked awake as a natural instinct." Sans answered.

"You're lying..." Grillby accused, squinting his eyes at Sans at how stupid that excuse sounded.

"grillbz. i'm fine, really." Sans reassured, holding his hands up to his sides as a way to prove his 'innocence'.

Grillby grabbed the smaller monster by the shirt and gently pulled him into a warm hug.

The room went silent, all the two could hear was each other's soon to be relaxed breathing.

Then out of nowhere, Grillby decided to say something that befuddled Sans on a large scale

"I'm sorry..." he apologized in a small, slightly quiverish voice, holding Sans closer with warm affection and what shocked Sans the most, guilt.

"what-why?" Sans let go of Grillby to look at him directly in the eye.

"I could have been there earlier to stop him but I wasn't... I feel like I failed to you as your friend." He admitted, avoiding eye contact with Sans by looking off to the side.

Sans scoffed.

"you were there for me, what are you talking about? and you did stop him before he caused any more damage. look, things like that can happen to anyone at any time or place. there's always gonna be people out there with the intention to hurt others, sadly. it's not something we have the power to change."

"But that's the point! It scares me to think that could have happened to you somewhere else and that I would not have been able to be there for you at the right time. Things could have been worse and i would have never forgiven myself-"

"grillbz, stop it. what happened already happened and we can't change that. plus, it's my own fault it even occurred in the first place. i acknowledged something felt wrong yet like a moth to a light, i flew right in into my own affliction. Whether you believe it or not, I can actually take care myself." Sans interrupted.