vi.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Sharp, high pitched beeping awakens Hadley Andrews. She sits up slowly, blinking her eyes before realization hits her. Thick smoke fills the room and makes Hadley's throat feel like it is closing. She coughs, standing from the bed.

      With wide eyes, the girl races from her room. Her lungs seem to struggle more and more as she takes rushed breaths. Hadley rushes to the stairs of her childhood home, taking a deep breath as she sees the flames.

"Oh my god," she whispers before calling out to her mother. Hadley's mind races as she replays the worst few minutes of her life. She races down the stairs, the heat of the flames burning against her face.

She looks around as her feet hit the floor. Her heart drops as she sees it. Her mothers body lies on the floor, the flames overtaking her body.

     "No!" The young doctor screams, sitting up. Deep breaths rack her chest, wheezing echoing through the room. The girl's chest feels tight as she clutches her blanket. Beads of sweat roll down her forehead. She turns to the floor beside her where a small, black clock sits. The red numbers glow into the dark room. 6:07.

     The doctor sighs, wiping her eyes. She climbs off of her mattress and walks to her closet. Hadley pulls a blouse and jeans out, the limited choices not giving her much trouble. She quickly changes and walks to the kitchen.

      While Hadley eats her breakfast, her eyes are locked on the horizon. The lighting changes over the city as the sun rises in the morning sky. Hadley sighs. Another day at the hospital. The girl stands up, tossing her trash onto the counter, and marches out the door. She will be at work early, but it's better than staying in her junky apartment.

     Hadley walks to her car. It was the first thing she bought after she got her first job. It was a great price for a barely used car, and the teenager needed some transportation to get from place to place.

As she drives, the doctor listens to light music. She hums along, her soft voice blending in with the car.

She watches the city as she drives, the buildings rising and falling in height. Hadley watches the people carrying on with their everyday lives. Like Hadley, they have routine.

Routine has always been something Hadley likes. She likes knowing where she is going. She wants to be able to see her future paved for her.

Hadley pulls up to a red light. The four way intersection is empty, only a few cars taking up the road. She watches a car move across the road.

When the light turns green, Hadley begins to go. Something, though, grabs her attention.

A group of bicycles weave their way through the traffic. Three bikes sneak in front of Hadley's car. She swerves, pressing her foot on the brake. She isn't fast enough. Hadley's car crashes into another, her head slamming against her steering wheel--the airbag didn't deploy. The world spins for Hadley as she sits up, looking around.

The other car is pushed back against a building. It is a light grey car. Hadley opens the door of her car, unbuckling and moving to the other car. Hadley struggles to walk. Her head is foggy and each step makes it harder and harder to keep going.

      When she gets to the other car, she is terrified of the sight. One of the bikes is through the passenger window. The man who was on it lies through the window, his blood running down the shattered glass. His light, panicked breathing echoes through the silent car. The driver of the car has a piece of glass lodged in the side of her neck, blood soaking her shirt.

     Hadley is overwhelmed with the sight. She caused this. She opens the driver side door, placing her fingers against the woman's neck to feel her pulse. Hadley doesn't feel the beat of the heart through the skin, not even a faint one. She killed her.

     Rushing over to the other side of the car, Hadley notices a crowd forming. Several have a phone pulled out either making a call or taking pictures. Rude. Hadley thinks as she sees the flash of a camera. Hadley's movements make her dizzy, her head pounding more and more with each step. She can feel blood run down her forehead. Little amounts rub into her eyes, burning them. She keeps pushing on.

     Bending down, Hadley looks at the glass lodged in the man's stomach. It is gaping open, what's left of he window pushing through his abdomen.

     Hadley places her hands around the glass, applying light pressure.

     "You're going to be ok," she assures, her voice uncertain.

     Time flies as soon as the sirens flood into the young doctor's ears. Her hands are covered in blood, and she begins to feel faint. Hadley's world spins as a paramedic steps up to her.

"Please step aside, ma'am. I can take over," he orders, placing his hands over Hadley's.

     "No, I can do this. I need this," Hadley tells him, her voice wavering as the world flashes in her eyes. Hadley knows this could just be her silver lining for her internship. He could need surgery, and she wants it. His blood sends the surgeon into a surgery frenzy.

     "Ma'am, I need you to step aside so I can help the man."

     "I'm helping him. I'm a surgeon! I'm a surgeon!" Hadley shouts, slowly lifting one of her hands to look at the bleeding. It has slowed, but is still gushing.

     Hadley feels a a hand on her shoulder and she turns. Easton, the officer that brought her home stands in full uniform, the navy blue making his blue eyes stand out.

"C'mon, Hadley. You're bleeding," he says, gently pulling the intern away from the wrecked vehicle.

As Hadley takes a few steps, she feels her legs grow weak, and her world fades into darkness.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it's so short! I've been busy with exams and such, but it's summer break now and I'll have very little to do. That means tons of updates!

Who do you ship Hadley with?

I'll be having a Q&A in a few chapters! Comment questions or send private messages!

I'll give shoutouts to anyone who shares on twitter! Just mention me @8MaddyElizabeth

Love you guys!

maddy