fourty two

Camila died in her sleep peacefully just a little over two months after her birthday.

To everyone else, it was too soon as she had just turned 18. For Lauren, it was just enough time for her, knowing Camila was already fulfilled. But Lauren didn't come with that mindset as quick. She still thought it was too soon.

She knew it was going to happen but nothing can really prepare you when it actually hits you.

Lauren remembered crying out, screaming even, for Sinu to come. She couldn't bring herself to release her hand from Camila's. The tears came as if they too knew she had passed on. Sinu came running and all it took was one look at Lauren and she knew what had happened.

Lauren expected to see Sinu as she had when she saw Camila black out but this was different. This wasn't a blackout. Camila wasn't coming back. She saw Sinu cry for the first time and she saw how similar she looked like Camila when she did and that brought forth more tears down Lauren's face.

Lauren didn't remember the ambulance and the medics coming in and taking her away. All she remembered was them prying Camila's hand from hers and when their contact ceased, it hit Lauren that it was the last time she'll ever hold her hand. Camila was gone forever.

Alejandro had come into the room at that time, his eyes bloodshot, but when Sinu went inside his arms, he too couldn't stop the sobs escaping from his mouth. Seeing a man who looked so reserved all the time, show emotion made her chest hurt. Lauren remembered her mom being inside the Cabello household with a confused but sad Sofi and her abuela. Sinu and Alejandro disappeared with the ambulance as they took her away and Lauren just stared into the TV that was turned on to Disney as Sofi distracted herself. It was very quiet in that room, yet Lauren felt all the worry and apprehension.

Clara had her arms around her, caressing Lauren but at that time, she suddenly felt empty. All the tears had dried up. It was as if her body didn't want her to cry, not in front of Sofi.

"I hope Kaki is okay." Sofi said all of a sudden. Her abuela put her arms around her in a hug and sniffed some sobs. Sofi looked sad though she wasn't in tears. She didn't understand.

That brought silent tears down Lauren's face. Something told her that no matter what they would do, they can't bring back Camila anymore. Lauren couldn't believe she was there for Camila's last hours and she didn't notice until it was too late. She cursed silently but she knew she couldn't do anything about it. It was her time and that was it.

"Mom, can we go home." Lauren whispered to her mom, who let go of her and nodded. She held out a hand for Lauren and she gladly took it as she felt her knees go weak. Her mom said goodbye to Camila's abuela. They made their way out of the Cabello household which seemed to have a very heavy air about it, and somewhat darker than it usually seemed.

When they reached their home, Lauren collapsed on their couch, lying down. She didn't want to be in that same house with Sofi when she got the news that her sister won't be coming back. She couldn't bear to witness that.

"Want a glass of water dear?" Clara asked. Lauren nodded, as she shut her eyes trying to block out the world. She didn't know how tired she was until she found herself falling asleep.

When she woke up, she had trouble opening her eyes as they felt as if they carried the weight of her troubles. The living room was dark, much like how she felt. It hit her again that Camila was gone and she wished she didn't wake up just yet. She sat up and got the glass of water her mother gotten her, noticing how warm the glass was then. It had been a while since she slept.

Clara sat beside her, a grave look on her face. "How do you feel, dear?"

"I feel like my best friend just died." She answered sarcastically. Her voice cracked still and it choked her up.