12: Foreshadow | 2 |

Within a certain cheap inn in Mingzhe Dei, a group of youngsters were currently in argument concerning the Examination that's closing in. The authorities had changed the time when the Examination will occur. They did not provide a reasonable explanation as to why.

To some people, it was such a great disappointment, especially since joining the ranks of Mingzhe Dei's fighting force could gain a person much desirable fame and a brilliant start up to one's personal essence cultivation. There were more favorable conditions in store for those who actually got to be chosen specially.

"I wanna gooooo!! See here?" Pointing at a line on a pamphlet, Bright called loudly. "It states here that I could get a boost on my cultivation. DO YOU GUYS EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS TO ME?!"

Ever since Lea taught him how to properly take in essences, Bright had become an essence fanatic. This had caused Raize a great deal of headache. Initially, he was starting to feel pleased about Bright actually doing something productive, but he was going deeper into mastering essence cultivation in most troublesome ways.

"We can't, Bright. You know how we don't want to be out there." Ulla said gently instead.

"Then what are we even here for?"

"Good point. We are simply looking out on the characters that are part of the otome game to actually see what's going to happen to us. We don't want to get involved, we don't want to be a part of any of these."

"We have our own life too, you know!"

"Yes. But in case you haven't noticed, it's closely tied to the in-game characters. And apparently, depending on the heroine, we could all say goodbye to our lives."

"Honestly, I don't want to keep on living in this world with the fear of death looming over me just because someone could make it happen." Added Ulla.

"... But come on... Can't I join alone? I promise I won't involve you guys." Bright said weakly, feeling rather defeated due to Raize and Ulla's team up.

In the corner, beside the window, Lea slowly and quietly stood up. "Bright." She called.

He perked up and turned to Lea, looking like a whimpering puppy.

"We can't possibly abandon you to your fate. If it means that great to you, I'll agree to accompany you in your cultivation." She said, sounding very depressed and resigned.

Raize and Ulla had their mouths agape. They were both thinking how very unusual it was for Lea to propose to have someone as bothersome as Bright be allowed to hang around her.

At Lea's proposal, Bright immediately flipped his switch. Now smiling brightly, Bright dashed to hug Lea only to meet a foot on his handsome face. "I agreed to help, not with intimacy."

"Okay, okay~" He simply said while massaging his face.

"Well, glad we've agreed on that at least." Raize simply said.

Ulla then raised her hand and asked, "So the Examination is tomorrow, shall we watch?"

""Of course"" Is what everyone said.

They went to bed early for an early rise. In her covers, Ulla couldn't stop feeling uneasy. And Lea was aware of this, but she decided to keep her watch on Ulla for the next few days just in case, without the other's notice.

---------♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭

Hundreds of people rushed to the big open square to witness how the Examination in Mingzhe Dei was done.

There were many thoughts that ran through Lea's mind, and one of them was that how unusually peaceful her morning have been. Without Oliver, she was able to eat her breakfast without feeling too awkward. Bright was behaving for a change after she had agreed to apprentice him. She wished it would continue to be just as peaceful from today onward.