Part 53

"You can just dump all of it right over there, hun." Maggie directed me.

I nodded, pushing the wheelbarrow upright and pouring the soil onto the ground.

"I'm gonna go run and grab another shovel real quick." Maggie said as she turned around, heading back into town.

"Oh, I can get it if you want-" I offered.

"Don't worry about it," she smiled, "Just help Enid pull out any weeds that've come up!"

I nodded, slipping on an extra pair of gloves that were sitting on the ground before kneeling across from Enid.

"So you're back." She murmured.

"Yeah-"

"For good?" She asked, looking up at me, "Or are you just going to leave again as soon as everyone lets their guard down? Because I can tell you, next time, you won't be getting any of my help."

I sat there, slightly taken aback by everything she just said, before shaking my head, "There's not going to be a next time-- I'm not going to leave again."

"For the sake of this group," she said, tossing a handful of weeds beside her, "I hope you're right."

I scoffed, "You have no room to talk, ok? Don't forget that I'm not the only one who tried to leave-"

"But you left after I tried to stop you." She cut me off.

"Ok, so you're saying that if someone would have tried to stop you before you left, you wouldn't have gone?"

She stayed quiet, pulling out another handful of weeds before shrugging, "It doesn't matter anymore."

I let out a sigh, understanding why she was upset, "Thank you for not telling anyone, really."

She nodded slowly before looking up at me, "Well.. I did tell-"

"Carl." I cut her, "Yeah, he told me."

She shrugged, evening out the dirt with her hand, "Had to tell someone, I guess."

"I get it," I said, placing the weeds I had pulled out in a pile beside me, "I shouldn't have asked you to keep something like that from everyone, it wasn't fair and I'm sorry."

"Yeah, its fine." She said quietly, nodding.

"I'm not going to leave again, Enid." I said, stopping what I was doing and getting her attention, "You were right-- about what Glenn said, we're a family and that's why we have to stick together and keep living; I get that now."

A small smile appeared on Enid's face before she nodded slightly, "I do too."

***

"Well, we did it girls!" Maggie smiled, leaning her shovel against the wall as she stood back to admire the work we just did, "Carrots, radishes, red potatoes, yellow potatoes, and onions; all planted."

"I'm just glad it's finally done." Enid joked, taking off her gloves and wiping her forehead.

"I can't wait to take a shower," I laughed, "I feel like I just rolled in all that dirt."

Maggie chuckled, "Well it's getting late anyway, we all deserve to go wash up after all the hard work we did."

"Then I'll definitely take you up on that offer," I said as I took off my gloves, "I'm gonna go head home and take a hot shower and think about anything but gardening." I joked.

"I'm right behind you on that." Maggie laughed, taking her gloves off and shaking the dirt from them.

"Me too." Enid added as we all began walking back into town.

***

After we parted ways, I found myself walking back alone as the air began to cool and the nighttime sky was right around the corner, before a familiar face showed up beside me.

"How's it going?" Spencer asked as he matched his stride with mine.

"Good, um-" I paused, looking around, "Do you know where Daryl is? Weren't you both working on the wall?"

"Uh, yeah," he nodded, also looking around as we continued walking, "I really haven't seen him though-- we finished up about an hour ago."

"Oh okay, its fine." I nodded back.

"I uh- I heard you two went on a run yesterday evening," he began, "Did that go well?"

I shrugged, knowing that it wasn't a run at all but having to play along, "Didn't find much-- turned out to be more of a scouting trip."

He nodded slowly before looking back over at me, "Kinda weird to be going out that late at night, don't you think?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at him, concerned at what he was getting at before I shook my head, "No, there's less people out; less chance of getting caught up with some crazies."

"Guess that makes sense," he said slowly before changing the subject, "Did you ever give any second thought to what I told you the other day, you know, in the watchtower?"

I stayed silent for a moment, thinking back to the conversation we had about Daryl, before scoffing, "Nope."

He suddenly turned around, stopping in front of me, "It's just- I worry about you sometimes with him; I saw what he did to Nicholas-- I know what he's capable of."

I stared at him for a moment, almost not believing what I was hearing before shaking my head and pushing past him, "Daryl's not going to hurt me-"

"Wait, just hear me out!" He begged, moving back in front of me, "I know you two tend to stay together, but if you're just afraid of being alone or something, you can always stay with me at my house; you'll be safe there and I mean, you could even move your things in if you want and we could hangout and get to know each other more-."

I furrowed my eyebrows at him, "Are.. are you trying to hit on me?"

His eyes got wide as he stepped back, "Well, I- I mean I think we might have just gotten off on the wrong foot before and- and this could just be a new start for both of us-"

"Yeah.. no thanks." I stopped him, pushing past him once again and continuing to my house; now really feeling like I needed a shower after that conversation.

_____
Some character relationship progressions and possible drama?

What do you think?
Any predictions?