10|| Nico

Nico could hear more screaming as he walked into the darkened Champion's chamber as directed. Viktor and Fleur looked up in surprise.

"Are you ze 'Ogwarts champion?" Fleur asked incredulously. Nico gave her a grim smile. "Apparently."

"What is going on out there?" Krum asked as he stared at the door. An angry buzz of thousands of voices could be heard. It was the first time Nico had ever heard Krum speak.

He shrugged, heart racing. "Dunno."

Their questions were answered immediately. Nico turned as Harry walked in, looking pale and stunned. It was the faces of many souls when they found out they were sent to the fields of Punishment. Which, Nico figured, wasn't that different from the death sentence Harry was going through currently.

Fleur flipped her hair back. "What is it?" she asked. "Do zey vant us back in ze Hall?"

Harry caught Nico's eye, shock and fear in them.

There was a sound of scurrying feet behind him, and Ludo Bagman entered the room. He seized Harry's trembling arm and led him forward. "Extraordinary," he muttered, squeezing Harry's arm. "Absolutely extraordinary. Gentlemen... lady," he added, approaching the fire. "May I introduce-- incredible though it may seem-- the fourth Triwizard champion!"

Viktor straightened up, his surly face darkening. Fleur tossed her hair again, smiling, and said, "Oh, vairy funny joke, Meester Bagman."

"Joke?" Bagman repeated, looking bewildered. "No no, not at all! Harry's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire!"

Nico tried his best to look surprised. Fleur frowned.

"But evidently zair 'as been a mistake," she said contemptuously. "'E cannot compete. 'E is too young."

"We're in the same year," Nico said with some annoyance. Fleur turned her gaze to him.

"You too? What iz wrong with ze Goblet? Why has it chosen two 'Ogwarts champions? Why are zhey both little boys?"

Nico bristled. Little boy, was he?

"Well, it is amazing," Bagman said. "But as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. And as his name's come out of the goblet... I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage... it's down in the rules, you're obliged... Harry will just have to do the best he--"

The door behind him opened with a bang, and a large group of people came in: Dumbledore, McGonagall, Mr. Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, and Snape.

"Madame Maxine!" Fleur said at once. "Zey are saying zat zees little boys are also to compete!"

Madame Maxime drew herself up to her full, considerable height.

""What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-door?" she asked imperiously.

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," Professor Karkaroff said. His eyes were like two chips of ice. "Two Hogwarts champions? II don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed two champions, or have I not read the rules carefully enough?"

"C'est impossible," Madam Maxime sasid. "'Ogwarts cannot 'ave two champions. It is most unjust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," Karkaroff said, his steely voice accusing. "Otherwise we would have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."

"It's no one's fault but Potter's and di Angelo's, Karkaroff," Snape said softly. His black eyes were alight with malice. "Don't go blaming Dumbledore for their determination to break rules-- especially POtter's. He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here, and he has so again-- literally."