Chapter 62

I stood up before I could register that I had even done it.
I couldn't control myself.

I held unto the wall for support until I could stand on my own.
My legs felt heavy, very heavy, like I was suddenly in a dream.

I shakily walked up to him and I stopped two feet away from him and just stared. Stared at him.

He's here?
It's really him?

I thought... I thought...

Am I dreaming? Is he even real? Or am I hallucinating?
I had to make sure he was real.

I reached out a slightly hesitant hand and touched his chest (in a purely innocent way!) and breathed a sigh of relief when my hand didn't go through him.

A tear slid down my cheek. And I kept thinking, 'He's not dead. He's alive. Here, with me'.
He fought for me.
I noticed the bruises all over his body and the deep gash on his abdomen which was healing but still very bloody.
His eyes were still glowing but he looked tired.
Tired and worn out.
But he was still here.

He fought. For me.

With gentleness I wouldn't have thought him capable of, his finger brushed my tear off before it fell to the ground.
Overcome by relief, I just surged forward out of impulse and buried my face in his chest as I hugged him.

My hands were tired but I held unto his back with all the strength I could muster. I just needed to hold him.
It seemed to calm me down.
But guess what, here's the real shocker.

He actually held me back.
His bloody arms slowly slid around my waist and squeezed gently, smearing blood all over me but I didn't mind.
He held me close to him and buried his face in my hair. His warm breath fanning my neck as he exhaled.

His body felt tense under my touch yet he gave me all the comfort I needed at that moment.
I didn't realize how much I had missed him until now.
I didn't realise that I could even miss him at all.

"I told you not to do anything stupid Adriane, why don't you ever listen?"
He said while he held me tighter.
All I could feel were the thumps of his beating heart and the vibrations his chest made as he spoke.

I didnt want this moment to pass, not ever.

Hold me!

And he did.

We stood like that till my legs grew tired and they wobbled a bit.
It was just for a split second but he noticed.
He shifted out of my hold and bent down to pick me up while I moved my arms up to hold on to his neck.

I was becoming less and less aware of my surroundings, maybe that's why I just slid my arms around him and buried my face in the crook of his neck. I'm sure that's why.

He walked over to one of the less worn out chairs in the corner of the miserable cabin and sat on it, with me on his laps.

We sat there in silence, me having completely forgotten about the ongoing war outside that was probably my fault.
But I didn't care. Call me selfish but I couldn't just bring myself to think about anything else right now.
I was feeling quite lightheaded.

Damon pulled back a bit after a while to look at my face, not completely letting me go which I was thankful for.
I could see that the glow in his eyes had lessened considerably.
He gave me a weird look. Like he was seriously studying my features.

Then he sniffed me lightly, scanning my body till his eyes landed on my lower torso.
He looked me in the eye again as he moved his hand to my shirt and slowly rose it up. I looked down too.