seventy eight

"Hello?"

"Lolo?"

"Yeah, babe. Hi."

"Hi."

"My dad found my phone, you didn't have to call my mom's."

"Oh.. okay."

"..."

"..."

"So I—"
"I didn't mean—"

(laughter)

"Sorry, you first."

"I'm sorry it's taken me this long to tell you guys."

"It sounded like you were never gonna tell us."

"That was the plan, yeah. It was a stupid plan, which I see now... Can't shield you from everything, can I?"

"No, I guess you can't."

"..."

"Look, Lolo... It's okay, that you didn't tell us. I mean, I know you're going to when we get there, so I... Just... I.. I just wish you had."

"I wish I had too."

"And.. I never got to tell you... I was so scared I was never going to get to tell you..."

"Tell me what? You can tell me anything, Camz, which I know sounds hypocritical, but I swear now that there won't be anymore secrets."

"I... I can't do it over phone. I'll tell you when we're alone, if you're ready to hear it."

"I'm always ready to hear you tell me things."

(pause)

"Unless that thing is that you want to break up with me, in which case I definitely do not want to hear it."

"Hell no, I lo- I'm not going to break up with you."

"That's good to hear."

"So... I can't really say much else 'cause Dinah has her ear pressed up against the other side of the phone—"

"Why would you tell her that, Walz? I'm just tryin' to get some Camren—"

"—But just know that I've been worried sick about you and I'm really glad you're okay... I don't know what I would've done if something had happened to you..."

"Something did happen to me, Camz."

"I'm not.. I don't know what you mean by that—"

"Oh, I swear to god, if that bitch did anything—"

"Dinah, shhh."

"It was a long time ago. I told you I'll explain when you and the girls get here."

"Oh... okay."

"I love you."

"I—"

(pause)

"Lolo, we just pulled into your neighborhood. I'll see you in a bit, okay?"

"...Okay."

***