Chapter 47

Chapter 47

Hailey

It was a minute movement, barely noticeable at all, but the small twitch of the hand I held was enough to jolt me awake.

Lifting my head from the side of the bed, I locked eyes with a pair of shimmering blue ones. If I had been standing, my knees would've buckled, and I probably would've collapsed, "Chase?"

He smiled down at me, "That's my name, don't wear it out."

Unable to hold myself back, I launched my body at him, clinging to him as though he was air himself and I was drowning at the bottom of an ocean. He's alive, awake and in my arms.

"Thank god you're okay," I mumbled in his chest and he squeezed me back just as tight, if not tighter, as I was squeezing him. "I don't know what I would've done if you didn't wake up."

He gave me a sort of crooked smile and raised a brow at me, "You really think I'd leave my girl behind?"

Letting out a small laugh, I shook my head, "I guess not."

"Come here," he motioned and pulled me up to him, before planting his lips on mine. It was soft and tender at first, so gentle I wasn't even sure if it was kissing. Just as I was about to pull away, he brought me back in, grabbing my hips and hoisting me on top of him.

The kiss turned ravenous and hungry, to the point where I wasn't sure if anything could ever break us apart.

Of course, I had to be proved wrong as the door opened and someone cleared their throat.

I smiled at the man I had come to know over the past week and slipped off of Chase and back into my seat, "Hey, Doc."

"Hailey, were you harming my patient?" He scolded as he walked in to the other side of Chase's bed, shaking his hand as he came up beside him.

I shrugged, "No?"

"Alpha," he greeted Chase.

"Doc," he nodded in response. "So, what's the verdict? How long was I out?"

"Well, you were out for quite a while, six days to be exact. This one didn't leave your side for more than 20 minutes at a time," he said, gesturing to me, at which I gave Chase a cheeky smile, which he returned. "As for the verdict, I'm pretty sure that all the silver has worked its way out of your body, and you should be back on top in a few hours, up to a day from now."

"Thank you, Doc," Chase spoke sincerely, his eyes sparkling. Doc left us alone, and he looked at me, his smile dropping a little, "You look exhausted, Hails."

"Gee, thanks," I chuckled dryly, but I knew it to be true. My eyes were heavy from the exhaustion and I had barely eaten or drank anything in the past week. Almost losing Chase had been one of the toughest things I'd ever gone through, right after losing my parents-- or my mother, at least.

He looked at me with sad eyes, "So, what happened after I passed out?"

"Luke showed up with Doc and they started working on you, I don't know after that because I passed out, too," I answered, subconsciously rubbing my leg lightly where it was bandaged. I still couldn't walk on it thanks to that damn arrow, but I had finally gotten used to crutches, although I definitely don't like it. Tears began to well up in my eyes, "God, Chase, I thought I'd lost you."

He reached out and pulled me onto the bed with him, "Hey come here, come here. It's okay, we're all okay, Hailey."

We laid like that for a while, just sitting there and holding each other like nothing else mattered. Not speaking or doing anything, but just laying there together and appreciating each others company.

"What was it like, when you were unconscious?" I asked him, keeping my head right where it was on his chest.

He sighed, "It was amazing, in all honesty. I was with my parents and we were talking and laughing and just-- they were there. We talked about you, you know."

"What did they say?" I asked, for some reason I was incredibly nervous to hear what Chase's dead parents thought about me.

He turned me to face him and smile, "That they love you, and think that you've brought out the best version of me. They love you, and I love you too."

Smiling, I leaned up and placed a gentle but lingering kiss on his lips, "I love you too, Chase."

There was a knock at the door and Chase told them to come in, and at the sound of his voice the door burst open, allowing Lily to spill inside, running to her brother, with Luke following closely behind.

I slipped off of Chase for a second time and let him hug his sister tightly. Luke came up beside me and gave me a small smile, "Hey."

Raising an eyebrow, I glanced over to Lily, "So, when are you gonna tell him?"

Luke just shook his head with a shrug, but I didn't miss the nervous look on his face. But I mean I wouldn't want to tell Chase that either, though.

"Glad to see you're okay, man," Luke greeted his best friend.

Chase laughed, "You and me both." He looked between the two of them and furrowed his brows, "Hang on, did I miss something?"

"Umm yeah," Lily mumbled, looking down, "You are sort of the worst brother ever and missed my eighteenth birthday."

Chase swore, "Shit Lily I am so sorry!"

She laughed, "Not your fault, but don't worry, I'll forgive you as long as you don't freak out."

"Don't freak out about what?" He asked, glancing at me.

Smiling reassuringly, I took his hand in mine and nodded to Lily-- might as well tell him now while we're still at the hospital.

She took Luke's hand in hers and smiled, "We're sort of mates."

Chase's brows drew together as he stared at their hands in an intense focus, "What?!"

~
A/N: hey guys I'm still alive!!! Only a few more chapters to go :/

QOTC: How do you think Chase feels about his little sis and best friend????