Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One (Scythe's POV)

The next day, I didn't wake up until early evening.

I felt so refreshed, charged, and stronger. I rolled onto my back, throwing my arm out while my other arm was under Zaid, who was still fast asleep with his arms around his belly. I sat up, sliding out from under him gently. I watched him sleep for a while, cradling his belly.

Part me wanted to touch it, but I resisted the urge. Zaid would probably hate me forever if I even mentioned his belly being rounder. I sighed and snuck out of bed, heading to the shower.

There was only a couple more orders of business to attend to and I was going to take those upon myself while Zaid slept. I had a feeling I knew what he wanted.

I changed into jeans and a long-sleeved v-neck, jerking my motorcycle boots on before I crept from the room, closing the door behind me. I drifted downstairs, hearing the clatter of dishes and the warm smell of dinner cooking. My stomach growled viciously as I made my way past the kitchen and down the hallway to the basement stairs. I descended with one thought in mind.

No one was guarding the panic room, so I just walked right in.

Adam was lying on his side, fast asleep with his arm supporting his head. I stomped my foot on the ground and he startled awake, scrambling for a second before he glared at me.

"What the hell do you want?" He demanded drowsily, rubbing his eye sleepily. I went to the shackles, taking the lock in my hand as I reached to my pocket, withdrawing the key. When the shackles clicked and fell to the floor, Adam looked at me suspiciously, backing up against the wall as I rose to my feet.

"You may leave." I stated. Adam blinked, staring up at me in confusion.

"You're really letting me go?" He asked. I nodded.

"That was our promise, to let you go the moment Zaid and I become the official alphas of Blood Rain. I'll give you money to get back home. But keep your end of the promise. No one is to know that there are werewolves in Moonstone. If we were to be discovered, have no doubt that I'll be after you." I replied. Adam scowled, slowly rising to his feet and using the wall for support.

His legs were probably stiff from sitting all this time. He looked sore and weak, but I didn't say anything as he glanced at me.

"Trust me. I still think I'm dreaming." He told me. I said nothing to that, just withdrew a couple hundreds and tossed them his way. He caught the wad, stared at it, then at me, then he was out the door in an instant. I waited until I heard the front door opening and slamming shut before I left the panic room and went upstairs to the kitchen where Trisha was peering out after Adam, then jumped when she saw me.

"T-The Hunter's gone." She said softly. I nodded.

"I gave him permission. Where is everyone?" I asked, not sensing anyone nearby. Trisha made sure to keep a good distance between us as we went into the kitchen.

"Your father went out with a hunting party for some food. We're running out of meat to cook for dinner. Kylan and Alek went into town for supplies. Your, uhm... leopard. He just left and told me to tell you he'd return by noon."

"It's five."

"I don't know, Scythe..." Trisha let her eyes drift out the window as she chewed on her lower lip. I frowned.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Trisha looked back at me uncomfortably.

"I don't know... Maybe it's... just me being weird, but... I have a bad feeling, Scythe. A really bad feeling." She confessed. Now that she mentioned it, I suddenly felt a strange tugging at my gut. I averted my eyes thoughtfully, then decided I should go out and look for Kyler. He couldn't have gone far.