Chapter 30

Kylie POV

I sat discreetly at an outdoor table of the restaurant Dad told me to meet him at. The bill of my cap was tilted down, shadowing my face as I took another look around. I was glad to see my father's stature coming my way, hidden by a leather jacket and his signature sunglasses.

I lifted my face, smiling as he approached me. As soon as he reached me, I stood and threw my arms around him in a bear hug. The last time I'd seen my father was the day Peter and I came back. He had since traveled back to the farmhouse with Mom, moving the two of them back in there. He'd wanted me to come too, but he also knew that I wouldn't—not only because of my duty to the city, but to Peter too. And trust me, he was not pleased with that arrangement.

"Hey there honey. How are you? How's... Peter?" Dad asked, shuddering and fake gagging when he asked about Peter.

"Dad, stop," I protested, laughing. "I'm great. We're both great."

"Oh ew! You guys are 'we' now?" He demanded, having a fake heart attack in front of me.

"Dad, stop, seriously! I thought you wanted to be discreet!" I whispered, giggling at his antics.

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes, plopping down into the seat across from mine. I also sat down, shaking my head.

"How are you and Mom?" I asked curiously.

"Your mother is very worried. Worried about the team, worried about you and Peter, worried about me. Just—worried," Dad sighed.

"That does sound like her. But she needn't worry about Peter and I; we can take care of ourselves," I responded.

"She will anyways, you know that. She—" he got cut off by the loud noise of his phone ringing.

Dad and I both looked at each other, raising an eyebrow, before he picked up his phone. He stared at the screen, eyes widening.

'It's Cap,' he mouthed before hitting the answer button.

"Yeah," Dad said. I could hear mumbled speaking on the other end of the line before Dad spoke up again.

"No he didn't. Steve, please tell me you're joking. Why would they do that to her?" He demanded. There was more speaking on the other end.

"Go get her? Yeah, I'd be glad too. So much for retiring," he chuckled. Steve spoke up again.

"Kylie?" Dad wondered, looking up at me. I furrowed my eyebrows. What are they talking about?

"Listen, Steve. I can't tell her what she can and can't do anymore. She's grown. And plus, she already said that if you asked for help, she was in," Dad said, winking at me.

"Yup, we're on it. Wanda will be a free bird tomorrow... who's Scott Lang?" He finally asked. Steve must have answered, because Dad shook his head, muttering, "And I thought we were weird."

Then he hung up and turned to me with a smirk on his face. "Guess who's coming out of retirement?"

"What's happened?" I demanded.

"After the Wakanda incident, Tony put Wanda on house arrest. She's stuck at the new Avengers facility with Vision. We're gonna bust her out for Cap. And then Steve mentioned finding some Scott Lang guy, though supposedly Sam is working out the details there," he explained quickly.

"I'm in," I smiled.

"Despite what I said to Steve, I need you to be sure you are good to do this. Do you know what the consequences could be? Are you prepared for them? And what about Peter?" Dad asked of me, frowning.