Chapter Ten

Thank you so much for making this beautiful banner for me jaskeert I very much appreciate it!

If you would like to send in your banner for a special mention, my email is open! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 2041

~Dawn

I shudder at the sight of the closed door. It's a symbol of finality.

If I tried to get Lucy to stop cutting the circulation off in my hand, I would have to pry her fingers off with some vicious tool. She hates the idea of being trapped as much as I do, and not knowing what is in our futures is yet another daunting thought.

Rylan regards us silently, waiting for the right moment to bring up the questions he is so desperately wanting to berate us with. He knows he is walking on eggshells.

"You don't have to explain," Rylan says smoothly. I can tell that's his way of making me feel comfortable, yet I can still see in his eyes that he is fighting curiosity. I don't blame him. I'm sure the last thing he would expect from me is to show up at his door after this entire pursuit thing we have had going.

I exhale slowly. "Kaden wants me dead."

Slowly, Rylan closes his eyes. He knows the weight of the situation the moment I mentioned his name. For many years, Rylan has been trying to avoid his wrath to keep his Pack safe. Now someone who is supposed to be their Luna has lead him straight to them.

"Because of the Guard?"

I nod.

Guilt seeps into the back of my mind, but I do my best to dismiss it. What i did was an accident, yet for some reason, that's hard to swallow.

"What did he say to you?" Rylan questions, his shoulders growing tense, his eyes darkening with every word. I can't tell if it's his instincts as an Alpha that are kicking in, or the mate bond. Whatever it is, it's a frightening look on him.

"He was being deceptive and odd," I tell him, remembering his words.

There was no part of our conversation where I felt like I knew what exactly wanted. At the same time as wanting me dead, or living as a slave in his Pack, he wants me to protect myself. Either he is sick in the head, or maybe there is something else to it. If he is as manipulative as people say he is, then I can't be sure.

"Typical," Rylan mutters sardonically. Then he focuses his full attention back to me. "Thank you for coming to me."

I shrug, and a blanket of silence falls over us.

"Someone can take your sister to get cleaned up if you're both okay with that," Rylan suggests gently, nodding to someone behind us.

When I turn, I see an older looking woman with a cautious smile wander closer. If she wasn't someone who worked for Rylan, I would have thought her to be someone I would typically get along with, however, in this situation, I can't tell what the motive is. Lucy flinches when the lady touches her arm.

I give Rylan a suspicious look, and he sighs. "I promise you won't be separated for long. And she won't hurt her..."

If anyone could look after themselves well, it's Lucy. Just from looking at the woman, I can't help but trust her just a little bit. Being a true born Purity Pack from the looks of it, she shouldn't want to hurt anyone. Especially not an innocent ten year old girl. Not that she could anyway, since Lucy doesn't go down without a fight.

"I'm not worried about Lucy being hurt," I say carefully. "I'm worried about your being hurt."

Rylan didn't doubt it. He saw what Lucy did to get me back, and he would be stupid not to think she would do it again. Even I'm a little worried she will lash out after being confined in this place, despite how large it is.